Recertification Exams.

hardscripthardscript Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I was just wondering how Difficult Microsoft's recertification exams are.

For instance you need to recertify your MCSE every 3 years, now if you wanted to get a new cert every year there comes a time at around 3-5 Certs that you wouldn't have enough time to get new ones because you are too busy keeping your current ones valid.

Also can you Recertify them any time you like? For instance say i got 2 MCSE's right after each other, then in 3 years they would both expire with the same 2-3 month window so i would have to spend another 2-3 months of mad studying to keep them valid.

Could i Recertify one at 24 months and the other at 34 months?

Comments

• DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am also interested in the answer to this question. Would you have to retake all of the exams for that certification or would I need to just take one to maintain it? Hardscript does bring a good point studying to maintain them, especially if you would have to take all of the exam again. Does Microsoft re-certification process work similar to other venders like Cisco and Comptia with taking a similar level Microsoft certifications that would "renew" the ones you already have?
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
  • MSSoftieMSSoftie Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
    From the Microsoft Learning website:

In order to ensure that our certifications are meaningful and valuable indicators of candidates’ skills, Microsoft has implemented a recertification requirement for the MCSE and MCSD certifications. MCSE candidates will be required to recertify every three years, while MCSD candidates will recertify every two years. Initially, recertification requires passing one or two exams. Microsoft is exploring other recertification options and will announce those options as appropriate.
    MCSA certifications do not require recertification.

From this, it doesn't seem as if the exact process has been decided on yet. I would imagine it to be something like a 70-417 that mainly covers updates and ensures you still have the skills. Also, new OSes come out about every 4 to 5 years so depending on your timing - you may be able to take the newer OS exams and keep the old valid as well.
    After reading that and viewing their website, I am getting the impression that I would have to take all of the exams again in or to renamed certified. I am hoping that I am reading that wrong.
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
  • J.TotJ.Tot Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Doubt it, you more than likely have to take a "What's new" exam. Ala 70-417, which would also upgrade your cert to the newer level.
    VCP5 : [X] | VCP6 : [X] | MCSE : 70-412 [X] , 70-417 [ ] , 70-413 [ ] , 70-414 [ ] | VCAP : [ ]
    So you would think that by taking a "what's new" exam it would re-certify me for an expiring certification while also attaining the upgraded version of that certification? It is rather frustrating how their policy isn't so clear.
  • MSSoftieMSSoftie Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
    From the website:

In order to ensure that our certifications are meaningful and valuable indicators of candidates’ skills, Microsoft has implemented a recertification requirement for the MCSE and MCSD certifications. MCSE candidates will be required to recertify every three years, while MCSD candidates will recertify every two years. Initially, recertification requires passing one or two exams. Microsoft is exploring other recertification options and will announce those options as appropriate.

This seems to indicate to me that it would only be a single exam or maybe two. I believe it will be something like J.Tot suggested above. A "70-417 type" of exam. It would certainly include R2 or whatever is newest at the time I imagine. Some companies like Cisco have similar strategies. I believe Cisco also allows you to take a new certification test that "renews" the previous ones. The goal is to show that you are staying up-to-date.
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Keep in mind that the MCSA 2012 does not expire, only the MCSEs expire. So at most you would have to take two exams.
    I am in the same boat as I got both MCSEs in 2012.
  • alokin123alokin123 Member Posts: 268
  • 65026502 Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I expected the MS guy to refute the claims people are making. They're really blocking you from renewing MCSE if you let your MCSE reach inactive status? That doesn't make sense.
  • alokin123alokin123 Member Posts: 268
    i think that's the whole reason people aren't impressed. I have no problem if an MCSE status goes to "inactive" as long as i can sit the re-certification exam. The way it stands, MS policy is that you can't re-sit an exam you have already passed so if you don't renew on time you cant sit the re-certification exam nor can you retake the MCSE exams. If you snooze you lose it seems.
  • elad123elad123 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    this + the fact that Microsoft take years to release (if at all) study material for some of these exams is a pretty good reason to never take another Microsoft exam.