Options

Introduction + request for advice

smissaejsmissaej Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

I'm a 27 year old male holding a Belgian high school diploma in IT.
I've worked for over 5 years in an IT role, ranging from 1st line support to system operator. I'm currently working towards my MCSA and thinking of pursuing CCENT/CCNA afterwards.

Due to personal matters I'm now living in a fairly developed 3rd world country (yes I know this is a contradiction :p) with a booming IT industry. Due to the fact I do not (yet) hold a degree in IT it is quite difficult for me to land a job in the sector. I’m just guessing here, maybe there’s something wrong with my CV/cover letter or maybe employers just don’t see the bag of experience I’m carrying.
Anyway, after a long time there’s some light at the end of the tunnel. I recently got invited for an interview of which you will find the details of the position below.
They informed my I need to take several tests:

1. IQ test: 40 mins
2. English Test: 15 mins
3. Windows Server 2008 Test: 40 mins
4. Windows Networking Infrastructure Test: 40 mins
5. ASP.NET with SQL Server Test: 40 mins

JOB DESCRIPTION
§ To provide high quality, professional and responsive support service to all users across the business on a range of different technologies, hence allowing them to complete their job seamlessly.
§ To contribute or be responsible for managing local and International project when required.
§ To support and train end users.
§ Manage the technical documentation where appropriate.
§ Be the technical operational referral of several Information Systems.
§ Install, test and maintain desktop and servers.
§ Troubleshoot system and network problems and solve hardware/software faults.
§ Patching network and phones.
§ Monitor network efficiency including internet bandwidth consumption level.
§ Install and maintain antivirus and anti-malware software.
§ Set up new users accounts and profiles and disable expired account in accordance with HR requirement.
§ Manage network systems.
§ Manage different domains.

Unfortunately I do not have in-depth knowledge of ASP+SQL server nor have I setup network services in Windows. In my past roles I worked with mostly linux servers and open source solutions. The only experience I have with Windows Server is building/administering a domain and Group Policy. This is also stated on my CV, hence my surprise they are interested in my profile…
Could anyone advise me some labs or guide me into the right direction as to learn some essentials for test 4 and 5? What could I expect they want me to do? I definitely want to go to the interview and be as much prepared as I can. I just can’t let this opportunity slip.

Thanks for your feedback.

Comments

• Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    Giving someone an IQ test as a condition of employment seems really.. dumb.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Its like taking those personality tests..so annoying.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    BGravesBGraves Member Posts: 339
    Sounds like a cool opportunity, especially given where you are located!
    ASP.NET and SQL server stuff makes me think they use a website or web app with a database, so that's a good learning experience if you can swing it.

Maybe start looking at Microsoft Virtual Academy? Try searching for ASP or SQL to find some relevant stuff you can go over. I'm sure there are other things out there on these topics, google ftw.

I'd say you want to express primarily that you are motivated and willing to learn things you don't currently know. Most jobs you take, you won't know 100% of all the stuff they do and run, it's all about being willing to learn and grow.

Best of luck!
  • Options
    smissaejsmissaej Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Although I'm a bit late....Thanks for the tips guys!
    I ended up doing some labs at home and taking a 24h crash course in ASP.Net.

Five tests and 3 interviews later I was notified that the job is mine.
    I'll be starting on June the 2nd.