Options

Company Flying me in all expenses paid

BjmachBjmach Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
Had a phone screen a month ago, Skype Interview this morning and they are flying me in next week to meet the team. I am retiring from the Air Force and have been in the miilitary the last 20 years so not familiar with the process. Does this mean I am pretty close to an offer and securing the job?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    It's pretty standard operating procedure. It's not a guarantee, but they obviously like what they've heard so far or they wouldn't be wasting the money. Good luck!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    care to be more descriptive on the job? I assume if they are flying you in that you did well, doesn't seem like a cheap expense
  • Options
    puertorico1985puertorico1985 Member Posts: 205
    Usually that means that you are being considered strongly for the position. It is not a guarantee, as they are probably flying in a couple of people in to meet the team, but it means that they like what they see. Good luck on the process, and keep us informed when you get the job. Best of luck!
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    I'm not sure what company you are flying with. Ensure you are super nice to whomever you are seated with or next too. A friend of mine back in the day was applying for a position, and he did about half of his interview next to the guy he was seated with. He was shocked when he came in and saw the guy he was on the plane with.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    It's not a guarantee..good luck though.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    Iit isn't a shoe in. Some large employees have deep budgets and a long list of qualified applications. Congrats on making it past the initial interview; this is your chance to seal the deal.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    It means you're close enough that they're willing to spend a few hundred dollars to see if you're the right fit. I would expect they only have one or two other candidates if any at this point.
  • Options
    BundimanBundiman Member Posts: 201
    Does it happen to be for an ice cream company in Oregon?
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Start Date: Apr 1st, 2013)
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Completed: Apr 25t, 2014)
  • Options
    Ok I'm sorry I should have elaborated a little bit more. Im actually in Texas and they are flying me to New York for the interview. I am not available until July time frame but at the Skype interview this morning the hiring manager said that with the phone interview a month ago and Skype interview this morning he is impressed with my qualifications, knowledge and management experience. He stated that he wanted to try and work with HR after the phone interview but that it was just too far in advance to bring me in. He wanted to have the Skype interview to assess where I was in my job search and if I had prospects. Which I do but they are waiting until July timeframe as well. He went on to state that even though the position is open and there are qualified candidates that they are not as qualified as I am. He stated that he already spoke to his boss and that they are willing to wait until a mid July start date for me, rather than rush hire someone now just to fill the position. I would be coming in to meet the team and this would be my last interview. The position has been open for quite awhile and they have been waiting for the candidate that fills what they are looking for according to the hiring manager. I pressed a little bit more and asked that since I was coming out if he thought there would be a need for further interviews after this one and he said that no once I met the team and they gave me their vision of what they see for the position that they would be prepared to make an offer. Im thinking the job is mine to lose but again not sure of the process and if this is the norm. This is for a Project Mangement position with a Global company and I would be part of the Global Operations IT Project Management team.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The time frame is a little longer than normal, but the rest of it is normal from what I have experienced. I had a company wait about two months for me to start before when I had to relocate so I guess three isn't really too far out of normal.

Your are likely correct that once they are bringing you onsite it's probably your job to lose unless you just happen to be a completely different person than you are on the phone/skype.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    TheChameleonTheChameleon Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Could mean your close and not unusual for companies that have multiple locations or not co-located where the work is being done. They could fly their top candidates out or you could be the only one. If you don't want it then they move down the chain.

Also sounds like they need your Air Force experience which helps them from a contracting perspective with military or DoD customers. Especially if you have rank in the military this helps a lot.
    Bjmach wrote: »
    Had a phone screen a month ago, Skype Interview this morning and they are flying me in next week to meet the team. I am retiring from the Air Force and have been in the miilitary the last 20 years so not familiar with the process. Does this mean I am pretty close to an offer and securing the job?
  • Options
    dopedsmurfdopedsmurf Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Assuming that you've already had a technical interview and not just passing an HR screening, my assumption is that they want to see how well your personality fits with the team.

At my company, we've interviewed several people that have tons of experience and technical knowledge; however, if the team fit isn't there, it's not going to happen.

Good luck on your remaining interviews!
  • Options
    Thanks All!!! Got the call this morning and have been offered the position. Base salary of $90k with a 6% annual bonus. Took a week after final interview!!!
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    Awesome, congrats!
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!!!
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats!
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Excellent!!icon_cheers.gif
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • Options
    shyguyITshyguyIT Member Posts: 380
    Congrats! icon_thumright.gif
    2017 Goals:
    Route[X], Switch [], TSHOOT[]
  • Options
    Cisc0kiddCisc0kidd Member Posts: 250
  • Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Awesome man!
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    I'm a little late to the party, but congratulations!
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • Options
    IS3IS3 Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Bundiman wrote: »
    Does it happen to be for an ice cream company in Oregon?

HAHA! gave me a good laugh icon_lol.gif
    :study: