Options

IOS question...

MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
Just a quick question to those who are much more versed than I am in IOS, I have several version of IOS that I acquired when I purchased 1 of my 1841 routers, (I now have 3), I am wondering, for doing CCNA, is there much difference between the non enterprise and the enterprise versions, I have both available in the 15.X versions and I do know how to update them, but I want to make sure I am using a version that will work for these labs and exams.

Thanks.

DaveP
Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.

Comments

• Options
    jsb515jsb515 Member Posts: 253
    the only difference would be from my understanding is you would give some extra commands with the enterprise that the non enterprise would not have. You should be fine if your just doing basic learning for the CCNA since the basic commands will be on both anyhow.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I planned to put 15 on mine and never got around to it. I have not run into any problems in my CCNA study yet. If something is not available you can look up the commands quick and skip over seeing it on real equipment. I don't think you will miss out on much if anything for now.
    Not all versions of the IOS are going to run IPv6 but I have been using packet tracer for that stuff. Lazy but it works.

My approach has been to wait till I need to change it and so far I have not hit that point with anything.

Good Luck
  • Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    Thanks guys, I am glad I have it, but will probably wait to upgrade until I need it, which will also give me the experience of upgrading.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Advanced IP Services should cover everything you'll need for pretty much any current Cisco cert. Don't use the Enterprise IOS unless its Advanced Enterprise, which is Advanced IP Services + Enterprise Services.

Level 1.0: IP Base -- Basic IOS

Level 1.5: IP Voice -- IP Base + Support for VoIP, VoFR, etc...(IP Telephony)

Level 2:
    • Advanced Security -- IP Base + IOS Firewall, IPSec, 3DES, VPN, SSH, etc...
    • SP Services -- IP Voice + MPLS, SSH, ATM, VoATM, etc...
    • Enterprise Base -- IP Base + Outdated Protocols

Level 3:
    • Advanced IP Services -- SP Services + Advanced Security
    • Enterprise Services -- SP Services + Enterprise Base

Level 4:
    Advanced Enterprise -- Everything (Advanced IP Services + Enterprise Services)
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]