Options

CCIE Major Retake Policy Changes

networkjutsunetworkjutsu Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□
Read more here.

Comments

• Options
    broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I understand why they did it, but I'm sure a lot people are not too thrilled.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I think that is fair enough myself. It's a damn expensive exam - and I for one wouldn't dream about going back every 30 days simply brute forcing it. I'd be back 3-4 months having *really* gone over my learning.
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    I don't think that is a horrible change, if you fail the CCIE 5 times in one calendar year, you probably need to take an extended break and go back to studying and labbing.

I look forward to failing it a time or two in the future :)
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Seems pretty common sense to me, but I can see someone with deep pockets and barely missing the cut wanting to go back quicker than the 90 day waiting period.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    From my experience, most people fail their first CCIE lab attempt and pass or barely fail their second attempt. Usually people who do not pass on the 2nd attempt want to retake the CCIE Lab quickly after it because everything is still fresh. In my opinion, this change will most definetly have a negative impact on CCIE candidates.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think it will have a positive impact, the idea behind the exam isn't to fill your nvram, pass the exam and forget everything. If you cant maintain the info after 60 or 90 days, whats the point.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My panic-beast is freaking out about this, except I agree with gorebrush - as expensive as it is, I'd want to take a few months between attempts ANYWAY. Logically I agree this makes sense though.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Dieg0M wrote: »
    From my experience, most people fail their first CCIE lab attempt and pass or barely fail their second attempt. Usually people who do not pass on the 2nd attempt want to retake the CCIE Lab quickly after it because everything is still fresh. In my opinion, this change will most definetly have a negative impact on CCIE candidates.

Agreed. This has been the exact case for two CCIEs at my current job.
  • Options
    skinsFan202skinsFan202 Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    EdTheLad wrote: »
    I think it will have a positive impact, the idea behind the exam isn't to fill your nvram, pass the exam and forget everything. If you cant maintain the info after 60 or 90 days, whats the point.
    I disagree. It's about striking while the iron is hot. You may have just missed the pass mark on your 2nd attempt and want to get right back in while you're still oiled up and ready to go in test mode.

It has nothing to do with wanting to forget anything. Besides, from my conversations with most CCIEs they say after you pass, as time goes on you're never as sharp as you were during your CCIE studying days
  • Options
    kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    Dieg0M wrote: »

I agree with this but if I don't pass it after my seconds attempt which 30 days is good enough then I'm not even going to attempt a 3rd.
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    New Lab Topics:
    • Interpreting Packet Captures
    • Bidirectional Forwarding Detection (BFD)
    • Multi Address Family (AF) EIGRP
    • Dynamic Multipoint VPN (DMVPN)
    • IPsec
    • IPv6 First Hop Security
    Of the new topics announced, the big ones are DMVPN and IPsec. These are specifically listed as DMVPN Single Hub and IPsec with Pre-Shared Keys, so the scope is not nearly as large as the CCIE Security. If you don’t yet know what any of these terms mean, don’t worry, you soon will icon_wink.gif
    Topics moved from the Lab to the Written:
    • IPv6 Multicast
    • RIPng
    • IPv6 Tunneling
    • IOS AAA with TACACS+ and RADIUS
    • 802.1x
    • Layer 2 QoS
    • Performance Routing (PfR)
    Topics completely removed:
    • Flexlinks
    • ISL
    • Layer 2 Protocol Tunneling
    • Frame-Relay
    • WCCP
    • IOS Firewall
    • IOS IPS
    • RITE
    • RMON
    • RGMP
    • RSVP QoS
    • WRR/SRR
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    reaper81reaper81 Member Posts: 631
    I took my first attempt in Feb 2012. Found out I wasn't quite ready.

Studied hard and came back in May 2012. I was very well prepared and felt I was ready. I got a **** lab with poor wording and strange tasks that felt they were still in beta. What can I say, **** happens. I should have passed that day but when you are playing the bank, the bank makes the rules.

Felt miserable after that day, even had thoughts about quitting. Decided to have a final shot and then passed comfortably in October 2012.

If you are very close to passing it would make sense to try again soon but I still like that they are doing something about the dumpers. If the policy is too harsh maybe they will review it later to see if it worked out as expected.
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149