Options

Building A Lab - Questions

bankintherollbankintheroll Member Posts: 121
Hello, I am building a lab with 2 routers and 2 switches based on Jeremy's (CBTNuggets) recommendation. My lab will consist of the following:

1 Cisco 2950 Switch
1 Cisco 3550 Catalyst Switch (layer 3)
2 Cisco 2621XM Routers

1) The routers most likely will not come with WICs. I was wondering what a simple and cheap WIC would be that I can insert into both routers, that would give 1 serial port to connect them together?

2) I will then get the DCE/DTE cables and USB-to-Ethernet cables for the switches. Also, am I missing anything else?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You can use a WIC-1T or something similar.

What would you need a USB-to-Ethernet cable for? Are you talking a USB-to-serial for console?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Yes. I guess I only need 1 console cable because I will mostly be using telnet/SSH. I just wanted to use console as well for an all-around "hands-on" approach.
  • Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    All of the 1841's I purchased had WIC 2ts in them, but I have seen some on ebay as of late for less than $20 each, I also have a WIC 1t a lot of the recycling places are selling serial cards for really cheap prices.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    HAMPHAMP Member Posts: 163
    MTciscoguy wrote: »
    All of the 1841's I purchased had WIC 2ts in them, but I have seen some on ebay as of late for less than $20 each, I also have a WIC 1t a lot of the recycling places are selling serial cards for really cheap prices.

I have a question about the WIC 2Ts, are they for a single port to be split off going to two separate routers or are they for double speed onto a card?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The WIC-2T has two serial ports for two links. I believe the WI-2T uses the smart serial connector rather than the DB-60 the WIC-1T uses though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    You must have got lucky on those 1841s. All the ones I see on ebay are pretty expensive.

I actually got lucky on the 2621xm myself. It had a damaged screw on one of the module slots and he sold it for $30 free shipping.

I just need 1 more router and I'll have a complete lab with 2 routers, 2 switches, all the cables, and several end devices to mess around with.
  • Options
    Don't forget to look on Craigslist. I bought (what I call my first half) a small starting kit from a cisco kit site, but I found (what I call my second half) off of craigslist, and paid 80% less.
  • Options
    mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I bought my 26XXs from various companies and they always included the DB60s and Com Port to Console cables. But they are dime a dozen out there. One module I did buy was a NM 4 serial port instead of WIC 1ts

I think you are doing the right thing. Everybody here seems to think you don't need any hands on hardware experience and Packet TRacer or GNS is all you need..

Good luck
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
  • Options
    Thanks Mikey and everyone for your info!
  • Options
    The WIC 2t are two separate com ports, and yes you use the back to back smart serial cables, which if you shop around are pretty inexpensive.

I have been very lucky on the 1841 routers, I pay attention to those pieces I am interested in and will bid when I need to, what is really amazing is I don't use any snipe programs to win auctions. I know of a deal right now, that includes 4 2610XM, 4 WIC 2t cards, several modules and 4 1700 series routers that I can get for less than $165, you just need to be willing to spend the time looking, I have also put an ad on craigslist letting people know I am willing to come and pick stuff up, there always seems to be someone who is getting rid of parts, switches and routers so they can upgrade, because one of us guys told them they need to!

One thing I will add, I have not bought an access server, I decided to go a different way, so I picked up a 16 port serial port card and the console cables to match with it, for less than $50 bucks, so my main PC is also acting as a access/terminal/console server and I can access all of the pieces in my lab. Now the PC I am running all of this on, is not a dog, it is a 4 gig memory, 2 terabyte HD, E8400 3.30 ghz machine, the passmark score on this machine is over 1800.

But I am a patient person and have built this machine over the last couple of years, it just takes patience and due diligence to do what we all seem to want to do.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    omi2123omi2123 Member Posts: 189
    get a 2801 router if u can.....those r awesome
  • Options
    What is the difference between the 1841 and the 2801, if you don't mind me asking?

I do see the 2801 has two more expansion module slots, but it looks and seems to run the same IOS as the 1841, am I missing something?
  • Options
    What is the difference between the 1841 and the 2801, if you don't mind me asking?

I do see the 2801 has two more expansion module slots, but it looks and seems to run the same IOS as the 1841, am I missing something?

I wish I could answer that question, but I can’t. That question is the reason I bought three different routers. Although most models are close, I want to be able to know off the top of my head the differences.

I recently built my rack and I haven’t had a chance to really get into it.

I have:

I suppose a little later I will play with the WIC 2T, that’s if I can find at a nice cheap price.
  • Options
    I am just wondering, I have 3 1841 with maximum memory, all running 15.1 IOS(I decided to go ahead and upgrade today) and all have WIC 2t cards and I have several other WIC cards if I need them, in addition I have 2 2503 routers and 5 different models of 2950 switches, I am just wondering what makes the 2801 a better choice, if the software is the same?
  • Options
    HAMP wrote: »
    I wish I could answer that question, but I can’t. That question is the reason I bought three different routers. Although most models are close, I want to be able to know off the top of my head the differences.

I recently built my rack and I haven’t had a chance to really get into it.

I have:

I suppose a little later I will play with the WIC 2T, that’s if I can find at a nice cheap price.

This is a ltitle off topic, but what do you think of the A+ and Network+ certifications you got? I am actually getting my A+ after my CCENT, and then getting my CCNA. I know, most people get their A+ before anything, but so many jobs around here ask for that certification. Also, I am pretty experienced with building, installing, troubleshooting, hardware, software, etc. So I think it will only take me 2 or 3 weeks of buckle-down-study to prepare for the A+ exam.

Was it hard in your opinion?
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    2801 and 1841 are the current suggestions for CCNA studies, you'll want to stick with 1841's for CCNA Security studies.

If you have questions about capabilities, take a look at the cisco feature comparison tool. (IIRC) Anyway just look on cisco, use the best hardware you can afford that will get you through whatever higher levels you are seeking.
  • Options
    This is a ltitle off topic, but what do you think of the A+ and Network+ certifications you got? I am actually getting my A+ after my CCENT, and then getting my CCNA. I know, most people get their A+ before anything, but so many jobs around here ask for that certification. Also, I am pretty experienced with building, installing, troubleshooting, hardware, software, etc. So I think it will only take me 2 or 3 weeks of buckle-down-study to prepare for the A+ exam.

Was it hard in your opinion?

The A+ was a breeze for me, I was actually upset that I took the time to study for it. Only reason I studied for the test is because I didn’t know what to expect, it was my first certification test. Like you said, I’ve been building, installing, troubleshooting and repair for years. It was just about second nature for me when I had taken the test. I’m not bragging or anything, its just I have been doing it for a very long time.

That is the same reason I decided to buy my a cisco rack, I just want the questions and answer to flow as if it was nothing.

On the other hand, the Network+ is a whole nother story. I will make it short as possible. The book I used(I can’t remember which one) to study threw me in the wrong direction for the test. I also passed that test from experience, but not what was in that book. I wanted to hunt down the person who wrote it and throw it at him.
  • Options
    One thing I forgot to add: The infamous 2650s DO NOT SUPPORTS ROAS. Or they can if you upgrade the image from ip base to ip plus
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you don't mind making your own cables (you might be able to buy them premade also), the WIC-1DSU-T1 (won't work in newer ISRs, but is fine for older 1700, 2600XM series) or WIC-1DSU-T1-V2 (will work in newer ISRs) is a much cheaper option than the WIC-1T for single point-to-point connections. If you need 4 or more serial links on a single router (e.g. Frame Relay Switch without enough available WIC slots, but an open NM Slot), you will probably need to go with the NM-4A/S or NM-8A/S and WIC-1Ts for the DTE routers.

The WIC-1DSU-T1/WIC-1DSU-T1-V2 is slightly cheaper than the WIC-1T and you can make your own cables dirt cheap. Just take a regular TIA/EIA-568-B Patch cable and cut one end off and change the color code on that end to -- Blue Stripe, Blue, Green Stripe, Orange, Orange Stripe, Green, Brown Stripe, Brown.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□

1841 -- Smaller, Less Noise, Does Not Support CUCME (Voice), Can be Rack Mounted (uses wider mounts), 2 x HWIC Slots
    2801 -- Larger (Standard 1U), Noisier, Supports CUCME (Voice), Rack Mounted (uses standard width mounts), 2 x HWIC Slots, 1 x WIC/VIC Slot, 1 x VIC Slot

HWIC slots should support older WIC cards assuming they are otherwise compatible with the router. So, basically the 2801 gives you an extra WIC slot and CUCME (Voice) support, but at the expense of being louder, wider, and heavier.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    There was a comment above about ROAS. Fairly sure a 2650 would support that - must be a software problem.

Router on a stick is a fairly trivial configuration. Though CCNA was 6 years ago and I'm a fair way into CCIE...maybe I am biased and I apologise in advance.
  • Options
    SephStorm wrote: »
    2801 and 1841 are the current suggestions for CCNA studies, you'll want to stick with 1841's for CCNA Security studies.

If you have questions about capabilities, take a look at the cisco feature comparison tool. (IIRC) Anyway just look on cisco, use the best hardware you can afford that will get you through whatever higher levels you are seeking.

Thanks, I actually have been comparing routers, which is why I asked the question about the 2801 "rocking" I just didn't see the big difference between them, but I have looked a bit more today and saw there are some differences that could make a difference in the future, but the 1841's will serve for what I want to do in the next year or so

Thanks again.
  • Options
    gorebrush wrote: »
    There was a comment above about ROAS. Fairly sure a 2650 would support that - must be a software problem.

Router on a stick is a fairly trivial configuration. Though CCNA was 6 years ago and I'm a fair way into CCIE...maybe I am biased and I apologise in advance.

ROAS is simple to set up thus I was pulling hair last night as I blow through Lammle and other labs before I test next Friday. So when it was'nt happening I went to the experts at dslreports and they gave me the answer I suspected

[HELP] Configuring ROAS - Cisco | DSLReports Forums

Regards
  • Options
    realPSIrealPSI Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have two 2621xms' at work and I can confirm with the installed ios ROAS does not work and the encapsulation cmd is not recognized.

I think the T series does ROAS.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Yeah all my lab devices to the best of my knowledge are 12.4(24)T