Options

GNS3 - bad images?

--chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
I was trying to setup a new instance of my micro lab in GNS3 last night, so I had to find a new image for the lab to run on.

I am not sure if I was doing something wrong or if I was just getting the wrong/bad images, but on the first image I was unable to access ethernet ports (ethernet, fastethernet, gig...none of the related commands for config'ing those interfaces would work). I know I am new to IOS/CCENT, so it seems likely that I would be the cause of the error, but I can move into/out of the interface configuration modes pretty well by now...it was something with the image. Like maybe it was from a router that didnt have a single ethernet port on it? Only serial... Is that possible?

The second image I was unable to get it to load in GNS3. It would test successfully via the command prompt when I added the image, but when I would go to load up the router in GNS3 it would lock up before it would get to the prompt.

Anyone see problems like this before? GNS3 0.8.6

I found one that works well now, I just wanted to know if I am breaking it or if there are trouble with some images.

Comments

• Options
    martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    What router models where the images from?
    Did you do a "show ip int brief" to look at the available interfaces?

Some devices come with FastEthernet devices and some have just Ethernet devices. If you dont check before and try to go to interface eth 0/0 and you only have an interface fa 0/0 you will not get there.
    And then, I started a blog ...
  • Options
    xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You've probably used a router image that doesn't have any interfaces associated with it as default.

Right click> Configure: You need to add interfaces in this section
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
  • Options
    martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    Are there images out there without ANY interfaces? Never stumbled upon these.
    And then, I started a blog ...
  • Options
    xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My 3640 image in GNS3 has no interfaces by default, not even a serial one. 3745 Has 1 F.Ethernet by default though.

I'm borrowing these two routers off my friend icon_wink.gif
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
  • Options
    Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    7200 don't have interfaces
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Options
    What router models where the images from?
    Did you do a "show ip int brief" to look at the available interfaces?

Some devices come with FastEthernet devices and some have just Ethernet devices. If you dont check before and try to go to interface eth 0/0 and you only have an interface fa 0/0 you will not get there.

Thanks, I knew there was a show command to simplify this "discovery" process. That was it. I am not on a different pc, so I cant run it to see what int it had enabled.
  • Options
    xnx wrote: »
    You've probably used a router image that doesn't have any interfaces associated with it as default.

Right click> Configure: You need to add interfaces in this section

Doing that action would result in an error, something like "There are no interfaces configured yet". I would go to config them but was unable to access "ethernet" or "fastether".