Options

MCSA 2012 or MCSA 2008

Arman75Arman75 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
For the past 4 years, I have been working as a desktop engineer (XP/7). I want to become a Windows server administrator now. I have my A+ and Network+ and want to get my MCSA. I have not taken any exams yet. Do you advise I get the MCSA 2008 and then take the upgrade exam for MCSA 2012 or should I just go for the MCSA 2012 and bypass 2008? Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    atari37atari37 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Personally, I would study the server 2008 track material to get some exposure and then study the 2012 objectives and take the exams for that.

Unless your job requires you to have 2008 certs, I don't see the need to go that route first.
  • Options
    JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would study what you're company uses. Where I work, the majority of our servers are still 2008 and we're only going to start upgrading to 2014 later this year. I started studying for the MCSA 2008 in January and my last exam is scheduled for next month. But @atari37 has a good point too. In IT, you always have to stay up to date so if you don't have to learn 2008 then go for 2012.
  • Options
    pandiculatorpandiculator Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Following the 2008 route would allow you to get MCSA in both technologies by taking four exams. MCSA 2012 on it's own is three exams.

From a resume point of view, I think it's more attractive to be able to list both certifications.
  • Options
    MSSoftieMSSoftie Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I disagree with pandiculator. I have not found that it adds any additional value if you have to go and do both unless you already have 2008 and update. I don't see any reason to get the 2008 certs. Employers will generally assume (and often be correct) that even with the improvements, if you can handle 2012, you can handle 2008. They are not as likely to go the other way with it. Your mileage may vary and it may be my personal biases. I have done hiring and I have never felt I should see both unless you were in the industry when both came out, in which case it shows that you keep up-to-date. Other hiring managers might disagree but that hasn't been my experience.
  • Options
    woodwormwoodworm Member Posts: 153
    Not that I'm looking for a new job, but I had MCSA 2008 and have now updated it to MCSA 2012 and I don't think I'd list both on my CV unless a particular job was asking for it.