At a crossroad...

-prophet--prophet- Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone!

I am at a crossroad and want a little advice to the right direction!

I've decided to back up my 8 years IT experience (helpdesk, consulting, training) with Certs. I am currently a non IT related teacher but want to get back into the field.

This year I got my Net+ and CCNA. My cert training company told me "study for a CCNP" which I have started, but now I have second thoughts... I don't want to be sitting in a router and switch room, I want to be around people, maybe as a trainer or supporting people rather then just Net hardware etc.

I love working with Cisco gear, but maybe I should be rounding my cert with MicroSoft too?

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Prophet

Comments

• blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If that's the case don't waste your time with CCNP. You should start working on your Microsoft certs.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Knock out several of the CompTIA certs.
    Work through the MS Certs and as time permits
    Add the CISCO certs.

If you'd like to teach it, then it would be handy to go through the process even if that' not your life long dream. But I'd get the 'quick' ones out of the way first.

YMMV
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • deneb829deneb829 Member Posts: 292
    I wonder why your cert company suggest CCNP? I wonder if they need more numbers in that area.

Decide what you want to do or teach and get certs related to that. I agree with the others - if you haven't decided on a path - take the CompTIA exams ... they're the Liberal Arts degree of the certification world.
    There are only 10 types of people in this world - People who understand binary and people who do not.
  • CessationCessation Member Posts: 326
    Wow, if I were in your shoes I would Definately get the CCNP before you slow down in that area.
    It is a Superb Cert to have and you can get all the other you want later.
    Trust Me.
    Plus by the time you're done maybe the new certs will be out if they plan on doing that.

GL in whatever you do.
    Its just my opinion. :D
    A+, MCP(270,290), CCNA 2008.
    Working back on my CCNA and then possibly CCNP.
  • bcairnsbcairns Member Posts: 280
    deneb829 wrote:
    I wonder why your cert company suggest CCNP? I wonder if they need more numbers in that area.

Decide what you want to do or teach and get certs related to that. I agree with the others - if you haven't decided on a path - take the CompTIA exams ... they're the Liberal Arts degree of the certification world.

I would have to agree with that, I did the same thing....years of experience and no certifications.

So I went the following direction

CompTIA A+
    CompTIA Network+
    CompTIA Security+
    Microsoft 70-270 Windows XP

Rollover A+/N+ to CST / CNST - search the forums for "roll over", you can basically get free certifications for extra fluf on your resume.

Currently working tward MCSE and then possibly an RHCE.

One day I might do CCNA, but I doubt I would ever do a CCNP.

One cert that really has my attention is CWNA - certified wirless network admin....we all know wirless is going to be a hotter topic then it is now.
  • -prophet--prophet- Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks to you all for the advice, excellent as always!

I think I need a little time to chew on all this info :)

deneb829 - I asked my cert training company why they mentioned CCNP would be an advantage, they told me CCNPs are limited in numbers (in this area) and that they pay there cisco trainers 700euro a day... This is all well and good, but we need to keep in mind that this is an 'on and off thing', not earning this kind of money EVERY day. They have a ratio of 20 Microsoft courses to each Cisco course.

Cheers,
    Prophet
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    -prophet- wrote:
    Thanks to you all for the advice, excellent as always!

I think I need a little time to chew on all this info :)

deneb829 - I asked my cert training company why they mentioned CCNP would be an advantage, they told me CCNPs are limited in numbers (in this area) and that they pay there cisco trainers 700euro a day... This is all well and good, but we need to keep in mind that this is an 'on and off thing', not earning this kind of money EVERY day. They have a ratio of 20 Microsoft courses to each Cisco course.

Cheers,
    Prophet

Another thing to keep in mind is that the Cisco stuff expires after 3 years unless you continue to renew/upgrade. MS certs don't expire, they just age. icon_lol.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would waste time with Comptia unless you want to teach it. Your well above and beyond that level and it would be just a waste of time and money.

I'm not saying they are worthless just worthless at your level.
  • plettnerplettner Member Posts: 197
    There also those Certified trainer ones the M$ put out. I think the other companies would have similar "trainer" certs.

They may be helpful for the latter stages of certification.