Worse Case Scenario(Comptia A+)

DaiJayDaiJay Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Let's say for example... I have no desktop, no computer experiences whatsoever, basically a blank book.
I decide to get Comptia A+ certified. I buy a Certified Comptia A+ textbook, use the professor Messer Videos and a lot of practice exams(examcompass, crucialexams, all comptia A+ questions).... Would I still be able to pass?
But I do know MS office suite and HTML.

Comments

• TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Probably not a good idea, you need some hands-on experience I'd say.
  • DaiJayDaiJay Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I got a laptop. + shouldn't the textbook cover just about everything to pass?...
  • DollarhydeDollarhyde Member Posts: 111
    Well if you get Mike Meyer's book which is approx 1500 pages it should teach you everything you need to know. While you go through the book practice with your laptop, take it apart see what components it has. Go through the practice exams that you mentioned and you "should" be able to pass.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Mike RMike R Member Posts: 148 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can get everything you need out of textbooks, I didn't use any videos but most people do. I wouldn't recommend taking apart your laptop at all to see what components it has. Risk vs reward is way to high considering Laptop is like 11% of the test. Understanding what you reading is the most important thing, you need to know WHY something does or doesn't work.

Take notes as you go through and when your done with the main textbook pick up the review guide or Exam Cram so you can work on that prior to testing. It's a entry level test and not something you "need" experience to take. Experience helps for sure but it's not required.
  • IT_TomIT_Tom Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes it is more than possible to pass without the hands on experience. I was in a very similar situation when I took the A+ a few months ago, I was good at using software and internet but that was about it no hardware experience or troubleshooting.

I had to study a lot to get familiar with all the terms and lingo. Watch some YouTube videos of people building computers as well or some troubleshooting scenario videos.
  • DaiJayDaiJay Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Mike R,
    Thanks again man, that's really motivating. I appreciated it.
    IT_Tom,
    I was hoping for someone to say those exact words lol, I'll read this book and master it, in and out. I'll look into getting videos of that stuff. Thank you
    -Now I'm motivated to study this even more.