Starting a new career

Sk1z0wSk1z0w Registered Users Posts: 2 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi all!

I've recently decided to take a turn in my life and go into IT. I'm a crane technician, I calibrate/troubleshoot crane computers and that's where my passion for computer started. I'm totally new to network (It in general) but my goal is to work in Security.

I'm planning to get my Net+ Cert around feb/march.

I started the CBT nuggets Net+ course with Keith Barker and I must say that it's super interesting and i've learn a lot (did the IPv4 course as well) + notes from Prof. Messer.

My question is : Is these courses enough or there's better courses out there to learn? I'm really dedicated, I spend average of 4 hours per day at reading/practicing :D

And,

I'm thinking about doing Net+ then doing the Linux+, Security+.. ect

(Sorry for any misspelling/grammar error, i'm not a native english person lol)

Comments

• gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yep, that would be the correct path. CompTIA certs are entry-level and are good at helping you to enter the field. Knock out some of them, then proceed to more advanced ones, like Cisco's CCNP if you choose to pursue network side or Microsoft's MCSA if you choose to pursue system side or Red Hat's RHCSA for RedHat/CentOS Linux distro. In the end you are heading to get CISSP and probably some more advanced certs such as CISSP concentrations or GIAC certs (which are pricey!) with their crown GSE.

Your first job of choice is a security analyst occupation, basically these are guys and gals who watch incidents in whatever system is used and do a first level remediation.

It could be hard to land your first job so if you find yourself in position when you just can't do that you can fall back to helpdesk/support/NOC operator roles for a while and after a year or so resume your search for a security analyst position.

That's my take on it.
  • Sk1z0wSk1z0w Registered Users Posts: 2 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well thank you for your reply.

What would you suggest to do to practice or gain some experience on the field. Is there any site with challenge, exercise..?
  • gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Build a home lab, could be expensive but not much, buy used stuff on ebay. Assemble a network with all types of tech, assemble a vmware/hyper-v cluster. Practice a lot, basically implement everything you read about in books. Participate in CTF hacking challenges.
  • c0mptiac0mptia Member Posts: 149 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Build a home lab, could be expensive but not much, buy used stuff on ebay. Assemble a network with all types of tech, assemble a vmware/hyper-v cluster. Practice a lot, basically implement everything you read about in books. Participate in CTF hacking challenges.

Correct..