WGU - Capstone Oral Defense

EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hello all. I' curious about the oral defense that WGU requires for their capstones, and was wondering if anyone can answer a few questions for me. How is it done? In person, or via webcam chat, like Skype? Also, what are they looking for in terms of the defense? Is it in-depth, or is it a basic overview of what your project was on?

Comments

• PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'm finishing my last couple Tasks 2 and 3 in the Disaster Recovery class (FXT2), and then I'll be working on my Capstone. I can let you know what it's like when I go through it in a couple months.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    When I did mine last year it was via web cam chat. I thought it was kinda easy to be honest. Just know your capstone project very well and be confident is probably 99 percent of the work.
  • cs8400cs8400 Member Posts: 90 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Getting ready to do mine in <1month (MSISA). Looking through the capstone archieve, it appears to be done via Adobe connect. So most screentime is on the presentation, while some videos do have screen time on the student. Most presentations are <30min. Here's the expectations:

A. Prepare a multimedia presentation (e.g., PowerPoint, Keynote) about your project (suggested length of 10–15 slides and approximately 15 minutes) by doing the following:
    1. Provide a short self-introduction.
    2. Present an overview of your final capstone project, including the following information:
    • Why you chose your project
    An overview of the problem discussed in your project
    What your project consisted of
    Any special strategies you used
    Successes in achieving the milestones outlined in your project
    Any issues or obstacles you encountered
    3. Discuss the following topics:
    What you learned in each of the following domains of study:
    - Cyberlaw, regulations, and compliance
    - Leadership and professionalism
    - Security planning and management
    - Systems security
    How you will apply what you learned to your professional work.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    My defense was just the Capstone Evaluator and me, since my mentor couldn't make. She made some brief remark about my topic at the end of it and that was it. Definitely the easiest part of the degree. Remember that a lot previous capstone defenses are in the Capstone Archive for you to watch and get a good feel of the process.
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    My defense was just the Capstone Evaluator and me, since my mentor couldn't make. She made some brief remark about my topic at the end of it and that was it. Definitely the easiest part of the degree. Remember that a lot previous capstone defenses are in the Capstone Archive for you to watch and get a good feel of the process.

pretty similar experience for me too. no mentor, just evaluator, webcam for 2 seconds to prove it was me, then it was all over the phone and viewing my slideshow
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark