CASP while studying for the CISSP

warriorfan808warriorfan808 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I'm studying for the CISSP. I've been going through Pearson VUE CBTs, while taking notes, and I'm reading CISSP (ISC)2 Certified Information Systems Security Professional Official Study Guide. I'm at the end of my contract and need to strengthen my resume pretty quick. Does the CISSP material cover CASP material as well? Will switching over for a couple weeks to the CASP hurt me? I've just run into some jobs that post that the CASP is acceptable, however the majority seem to want a CISSP. A little background, I have a BS Computer Science, MS Information Technology, CCNP, CCDP, JNCIA, MCP, Security +, Network +, ITILv3.

Comments

• bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    The CASP and CISSP is almost night and day. The CASP is much more technical and has lab simulations in the exam. You wont see BCP/DRP and the like on the CASP. Also, dont underestimate the CASP. I have heard from many people that it is a tough exam, maybe due to the fact there arent many resources out there to utilize as compared to the CISSP. As the CASP states, it is application security so be prepared to get deep in the technical side of security.

Personally, I would just continue with yor CISSP studies. Are you looking for a more technical job? The CASP knowledge could benefit you more but the CISSP will, undoubtedly, help you more in the job search.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    bpenn wrote: »
    The CASP and CISSP is almost night and day. The CASP is much more technical and has lab simulations in the exam. You wont see BCP/DRP and the like on the CASP. Also, dont underestimate the CASP. I have heard from many people that it is a tough exam, maybe due to the fact there arent many resources out there to utilize as compared to the CISSP. As the CASP states, it is application security so be prepared to get deep in the technical side of security.

Personally, I would just continue with yor CISSP studies. Are you looking for a more technical job? The CASP knowledge could benefit you more but the CISSP will, undoubtedly, help you more in the job search.

The CASP does in fact go through BCP/DRP on the exam. I believe it's one of the domains.
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The concepts certainly overlap, but not by much. The CISSP is not too in depth, whereas the CASP is, complete with simulations and is a very tough exam. If you have your Security+ already, then I'd say go for it, this book was a great help: Robot Check
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Both CASP and CISSP have overlapping areas and I passed both exams within 2 weeks of each other.

As @bpenn mentioned, the CASP has simulations which can be challenging if you do not have hands-on experience doing infra and network security work. So CASP can be tough even though there are only about 80+ questions compared to CISSP's 200. But you get CASP certified after passing, unlike CISSP where you need to go through the endorsement process which can take anything between 4 to 7 weeks.

Do take note CASP is more technical security while CISSP is more management security. For example, you are expected to know about port numbers used by different protocols in CASP, which is not a problem if you have been configuring firewalls.
    I'm at the end of my contract and need to strengthen my resume pretty quick.
    If you are almost really for CISSP and has the hands-on, a week or two is probably all you need to pass the CASP.
  • warriorfan808warriorfan808 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys. I think the CASP would be easier to pass, but I finally have a pretty good pace going for the CISSP. The CISSP is such an odd animal to attack. I'm used to building labs and actually working on things, but this cert is so much reading and CBTs. I'm finally on Domain 7. I think I can power through this CBT, my book, and CBT Nugget's CBT 2015 in about two weeks. Afterwards, I'll work on the CASP. Well, maybe. I don't know if the CASP will do anything for me, if I'll already have the CISSP. Any reason you got both Mike7?
  • Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A couple of reasons.

I was looking for a way to improve my resume while waiting for my CISSP endorsement to be approved.
    Having additional security certification helps builds credibility with customers, and we were bidding for a government project at that time that emphasizes security. In any case, our session with the customer was delayed by a few months and I ended up with both CISSP and CASP credentials during customer presentation.

My CISSP was taken before ISC2 changed to new 2015 outline and CASP covers more recent technologies such as DAM and vTPM so it was an enriching learning experience. At that time, I have decided to move into information security field and wanted to keep the momentum going and reinforce my infosec knowledge so doing CASP helps.

From an HR ROI perspective, CASP does not really help. You are correct in that CISSP is more recognized. Perhaps CASP may get more recognition in a few years.

Another point, a CISSP fufils CASP CEU requirements for 3 years.