Screws for Cisco Rack Mounts

Cpl.KlingerCpl.Klinger Member Posts: 159
Does anyone know what size the screws are that are used for attaching mounting brackets to Cisco Routers and Switches? I've got plenty of brackets for the switches and routers I just got, but no screws icon_rolleyes.gif. I'd rather just go to Lowe's and buy them rather than pay a bunch more through eBay to get them.
"If you can't fix it, you don't own it"
"Great things have small beginnings."

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Why don't you just bring the the bracket and a device to Lowes and make sure it fits? Probably the easiest and safest way to not waste your money.

I'm sure its documented somewhere on Cisco's site also if you google hard enough.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Cpl.KlingerCpl.Klinger Member Posts: 159
    While dragging in a router would be cumbersome, another try on google led me to an answer - #8 1/4" screws, but I don't recall anyone having those. Guess I had to google that one just the right way...

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    What kind of router are we talking here? Bringing a one U device, or even a two or three U device into Lowes doesn't seem like a big deal to me. Its also fool proof. To each their own I suppose.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    Just get a depth gauge.. they sell em for like $2 it'll measure the thread pitch and tell you the size. Then again a drill is your best friend :) make it the size... :)
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I too don't see why there is a problem to take the device in or simply dig a little further to obtain the exact part#. An electrician supply should also have what you need, try one of those places. A good hardware store will have something that will work, but the simplest (IMO) is find the correct part online and head to your local store or order online (and there are many places besides ebay to order screw for racks and such...I'd use one of these places before taking a chance on ebay) YMMV

And are you positive it needs an 8" screw? Or is it a #8? There are several screws but typically #8 and #6 are what is common such as 10-32 x 3/4" or 12-24 x 5/8" ect...

If you can provide the device #, I'm happy to look for brackets and components that will work.

EXAMPLE:
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/2600/hardware/notes/brk_inst.html#wp26398

If what you seek is the screws as shown in the above link...those definately are not 8" long.

Just found this site:
    http://www.cablesandkits.com/cisco-screws-c-232_251.html

Looks like they specialize is 'missing' screws for Cisco parts. Now, you may not need the quantity they have, but if you can narrow down what you need, your local electrical shop or hardware store should be able to get what you need in smaller quantities.

Let me know!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Cpl.KlingerCpl.Klinger Member Posts: 159
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    And are you positive it needs an 8" screw? Or is it a #8? There are several screws but typically #8 and #6 are what is common such as 10-32 x 3/4" or 12-24 x 5/8" ect...
    I said a #8 screw that is 1/4" long, not a 8 1/4" long screw. I also found the screws I needed, I just have to find a reliable supplier of them. For right now though, the 4 Cisco 2620 routers are happy to sit stacked on a shelf underneath the rack.

• Jim CalfasJim Calfas Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I measured some mounting screws with an IP54 Digital Caliper ($30.00 from amazon.com), and found that some screws are metric and others are American

In the case the self-threading screws which are used for mounting the Catalyst 3560G switch, the screws have a diameter of exactly 4 millimeters, which means they are metric M4 screws. I was able to find them on mcmaster.com, and it may also be available from cablesandkits.com.

In the case of a 7200 router, the mounting screws are .151 inches, which means they are ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers) #7 screws.