70-271 Question

rvincent24rvincent24 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello
Taking the MCDST 70-271 very soon and need to pin down the order in which to use the following,

Recovery Console
Last Known Good Configuration
Safe mode
Safe Mode With Command Prompt

Thanks for any help
icon_lol.gif

Comments

• SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    wel I'm not sure of the MS answer but logically tihs makes sense.

1. Last known good
    2. Safe mode
    3. safe mode with cmd prompt
    4. recovery console

reason why I put Last known good first is because as soon as u sucessfully logon the settings form the previous last known good are over written. making booting into safe mode before trying LKG pointless because any setting form the previous config are now over written with possialby bad information.

realistically I've never had LKG work for me in the real world.
  • eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    I haven't studied for this exam either, but I believe that's the right order according to MS.

However booting into safe mode doesn't actually overwite the ControlSet (I forget which one) key, so it's fine to boot into safe mode and then later use LKGC to load things as they were in the last good normal startup.

Which is why I personally prefer to use safe mode first, as LKGC will usually undo at least several things, and I prefer to just go in with safe mode and try to fix the particular problem.

But as I said, I believe that MS want LKGC first as it is "less administrative effort".
    witty comment
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Hi guys, that is a good logical order, but the exam will focus more on when to use which. For example in some instances, recovery console would be considered overkill when last good known configuration would solve the issue. So you're half way there by knowing which order to logically use these in, however you must now go the next step and learn what problem/symptom would be solved by which method.

Keatron.
  • Young FredYoung Fred Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    just for clarification the recovery console its something you have to add it isnt naturally in your boot up options. (I know that puts a monkey wrench in the question).

1. safe mode
    2. last known good(usually with registry problems)
    3 I would recommend system restore at this point( if possible in normal mode)
    4 safemode in cmd
    5 recovery console ( remember have to add with installtion cd)
    peace out
    YoungFred.jpg
  • rvincent24rvincent24 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all your help, passed 07-271 moving on to 70-272 now.
    Cheers
  • eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    Congrats! :)
    witty comment
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats rvincent24! icon_thumright.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • !30!30 Member Posts: 356
    Good luck for the next one and Grat's for this one.

Just give us the good new's .
    Optimism is an occupational hazard of programming: feedback is the treament. (Kent Beck)