What is the value of Worthless Certifications

TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
The company I work for is looking to cut back on the cost of certifications, they are looking at a number of Global Knowledge certifications, such as "CyberSec First Responder: Threat Detection and Response". I haven't been able to find any organizations that accept this as an acceptable certification. While it's cheaper than some of the other security certification courses on the market, it's still around $3,000. It seems like a lot of money for a cert that pretty much worthless in the job market.
Still searching for the corner in a round room.

Comments

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    A value of a certification (IMHO) is what a company thinks it is worth to hire or invest in the employee.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    My big thing on this is who is footing the bill... if my company is forcing me to certify and they will pay for the resources and exam, I don't care. I'll make the time to get whatever they want. However, if I need to spend my own money, then I'm more specific about the certs that I want to get. I've always had a special place in my heart for Microsoft and Cisco, which is why I'm going for those, but I plan on working on other industry-recognized professional certifications. Thankfully I don't have to worry about recertifying with CompTIA, unless the school where I teach forces me to get A+ce and Network+ce.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • FadakartelFadakartel Member Posts: 144
    TechGromit wrote: »
    The company I work for is looking to cut back on the cost of certifications, they are looking at a number of Global Knowledge certifications, such as "CyberSec First Responder: Threat Detection and Response". I haven't been able to find any organizations that accept this as an acceptable certification. While it's cheaper than some of the other security certification courses on the market, it's still around $3,000. It seems like a lot of money for a cert that pretty much worthless in the job market.

I agree global knowledge is pretty much overpriced for there certs. I would not waste my time on those certs you specified.
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Who is paying for these certifications?

If your company is paying for the certification it probably cares more about the knowledge you gain by going through the process than the certification you gain by completing the course.
    TechGromit wrote: »
    It seems like a lot of money for a cert that pretty much worthless in the job market.

Your company could care less about loading you up with GIAC certifications so your resume looks nice when it is time to leave icon_lol.gif
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    iBrokeIT wrote: »
    Your company could care less about loading you up with GIAC certifications so your resume looks nice when it is time to leave icon_lol.gif

Yea I can see your point, but I work for a pretty good company, I will not leave unless there isn't future opportunities for me. The company paid for me to attend SEC504 In March, but they bulked at letting me go to Florida, so I'll have to settle for Philadelphia. I work in a highly regulated industry, next year I can make an argument that having industry recognized certifications is more valuable to show compliance than some fly by night cert no one ever heard of.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • renacidorenacido Member Posts: 387 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Generally, aside from those required to comply with DoD 8570, the only two types of company that care which certs you have are:

- Consultants
    - Managed Service Providers

And then it's just for marketing to their clients.

Most bosses rightfully declare that decorating your resume for the next company you'll work for is something for you to do on your own time and your own dime.
  • Charper0873Charper0873 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The CFR certification is taking off quickly and being recognized and offered by many organizations. This certification was developed over a year ago new giving IT professionals a holistic view and understanding of the importance of Cyber Security. This course is necessary for many IT professionals as it provides the necessary training on what to do before, during, and after an cyber attack ensuring your organization is safe. Feel free to reach out to me to learn more about CFR. Looking forward to hearing from you!
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Are you being serious? Tell me right now where and how this certification is recognized and "taking off quickly". Right now I would put this way under Mile2, who are pretty low in my book. Consider this my official "reaching out to learn more about CFR".
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'm pretty pessimistic about employers. Where I work, they are not very keen on providing anything that would provide a credential which would assist workers in job seeking. Paying for a cert with low market value can still improve your skill set and make you more valuable to the company, but without affecting their turnover rate.

But that's just me being negative.
  • bubble2005bubble2005 Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The value of the certification is in the way YOU present yourself to the employer/interviewer. You want to convey the impression, that having THIS certification is one of the best way to gain this knowledge. Also apply the certification in a practical in how it can cause the business save time and money but most importantly, create MORE money and improve business processes.
    Think Big Stay Focus: In the midst of all situations, think positive.:thumbup:
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Why not just focus on the major mainstream certifications? CISSP, CISM, maybe ec-council, and maybe something from GIAC. If they are looking at $3,000...they might as well have something quality to get max return in the same ballpark.