cne.jpg 91.3K

Comments

• JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You old fart you

Jk lol

Nice!

My first cert was Novell as well, like 5 years ago. Don't ask why I took it
  • Swift6Swift6 Member Posts: 268 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wow 1995! Now that cert is a blast from the past.
    The fate of Novell gets me thinking, where will today's IT giants be in another 20 years?
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I loved Novell. I ended up with a CNE 5(18 years ago). Worked my arse off and the exams cost alot back then. $284 each exam.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Swift6Swift6 Member Posts: 268 ■■■■□□□□□□
    $125 in 2015 icon_cheers.gif
    https://www.novell.com/training/testinfo/newexam_pricing.html

Still feels like a lot for Novell which is now a small player.
  • cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 250 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My first certification was Novell 4.11 but; I got mine later than '95' lol. I can remember working on Syscon and how time flies.
  • twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think that I did mine in same time frame.
    i think it was 4.02
  • datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Got my CNE 4.1 in 1996. In 1999, we had at least 50 servers running some custom character-based/btrieve apps that ran for at least three years without a single re-boot. Not many test-**** fakers back then.icon_study.gif
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe

I know. I loved that even when updating, you didn't have to reboot. <sigh>
  • nemisisnemisis Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Still very proud of my NetWare 5 & 6 CNE Certification.
  • wolf9081wolf9081 Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I had a Novell cert back in 1995 also, when I started my career in the Marine Corps. Think I should add Banyan Vines and Novell back to the resume.
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Awesome nostalgic throwback, I absolutely love it. And Holy Crap you got me beat by 8 years from my first cert.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm sure you can sell this relic on ebay icon_lol.gif.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Wow, that's awesome. I was just a 7th grader, tinkering with systems, messing around on BBS' and planning out my future in IT.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I love this old throwback crap. Request moar!
  • TekjunkeTekjunke Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    slight necro-bump here... but I had to post.

My first cert was from Novell in 1992. CNE 3.12. Needless to say I was hooked, it was the beginning of a career. I held every CNE up to 6.0 (and even a Master CNE in the middle when it was offered).

Boy do I feel like that was a HUGE waste of time looking back. It did jump start my career, but its unfortunate what happened to Novell. My biggest issue is the SAME investor that ruined Novell, is currently trying to ruin my present day employer. (working for a public company sucks!)
  • TekjunkeTekjunke Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□

My first cert was from Novell in 1994. CNE 3.12. Needless to say I was hooked, it was the beginning of a career. I held every CNE up to 6.0 (and even a Master CNE in the middle when it was offered).

Boy do I feel like that was a HUGE waste of time looking back. It did jump start my career, but its unfortunate what happened to Novell. My biggest issue is the SAME investor that ruined Novell, is currently trying to ruin my present day employer. (working for a public company sucks!)
    Tekjunke wrote: »

My first cert was from Novell in 1994. CNE 3.12. Needless to say I was hooked, it was the beginning of a career. I held every CNE up to 6.0 (and even a Master CNE in the middle when it was offered).

To this day, I LOVE Novell. I was such a great network software. What a shame.
  • mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Another necro-bump. I did my original CNE in 1994, under NetWare version 3. I eventually was CNE under v4, GroupWise CNA and Master CNE (integrating NT4 and NetWare track.) It was disappointing to see NetWare gradually becoming more irrelevant at the same time I was becoming more of an expert in their stuff. I believe eDirectory could have become more of a thing, if it was developed/marketed properly. They had it deployed with NetWare 5 before Windows 2000 / Active Directory took off.
    One of the attractions for getting that first CNE in 1994 was becoming more marketable, but in those days monster.com was just barely getting started, the main way to find jobs was still the classified section of printed media (or word of mouth) and it still required an effort to find new opportunities - today, you can just plug your cert and desired location into Indeed and have several prospects pop onto your screen in a couple seconds.
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The best IT exam experience ever... Novell adaptive exam is the best. I can say it was a good old day.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
    Congrats. You made it.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    The original post was made five years ago, so that CNE award is now 25 years old!
    It had been a while....  I think the last time I saw anyone using Novell products was at least eight years ago.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    The last Netware system I used was in 1999. It was being decommissioned because it ran on the same 10BaseT lines as the company's TCP/IP network and was eating up too much bandwidth. It was either spend the money to build a second, parallel physical network to separate the two protocols or scrap one. Not a hard choice given the rise in popularity of Windows 95/98 and the Internet and the lack of support for Netware in applications.