Options

From Windows to Linux, is it a good move?

minidanielsminidaniels Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I have been working as a Windows System Admin for about 5 years now, and my company is offering me some training of my choice. I have done a little bit with Linux in the past and after studying some material for the RHCSA, I'm loving it!

Is it a good idea to change from Windows to Linux? And is hard to get a role in the relevant field after working with only Windows?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good Linux admins are hard to find and usually make a much higher salary. Never hurts to have more skills under your belt but it will take time.
  • Options
    BodanelBodanel Member Posts: 214 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I will see the experience in the windows field as an advantage. Ive done this move about 5 years ago and it's the best decision I've made in my career.
  • Options
    vanillagorilla3vanillagorilla3 Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I feel the same way. Been working with Windows my whole career, but want to move into Linux. I've been studying for the RHCSA, but I'm already applying to Linux positions. Hopefully someone will take a chance on me.
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Hey guys,

I have been working as a Windows System Admin for about 5 years now, and my company is offering me some training of my choice. I have done a little bit with Linux in the past and after studying some material for the RHCSA, I'm loving it!

Is it a good idea to change from Windows to Linux? And is hard to get a role in the relevant field after working with only Windows?

Thanks

I made the move from Windows to Linux/Unix a year and a half ago. It was a good career move from a salary perspective and having both Windows/Linux under the belt is only going to increase opportunities in the future.
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Does your employer know you are studying linux? If so, you may be able to get some experience while saving the company money on windows licenses. I'm in a mixed environment and most of the critical services run on linux. There's a lot that can be done with linux especially HA but it's a steeper learning curve than windows. Some smaller tasks can take hours because of the large amount of config. Occasionally there'll be some big changes that have large effects like heartbeat's lack of updates is a big headache for me. Iptables is on it's way out, and yum retirement might be the next hassle.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)