Preparing to tackle the MCSA

SpiegelSpiegel Member Posts: 322 ■■■■■□□□□□
So I'm getting ready to prepare these exams in order to obtain the MCSA: Windows 10 cert. I'm hoping to pass both the 70-687 and 70-688 before they expire and then eventually take the 70-697.

Already have MCSA 70-687 Cert Guide: Configure Microsoft Windows 8.1 by Don Poulton on order to start things off. Any other recommendations as a way to prepare for this and the other exams?

I'd like to watch the CBT Nuggets videos but they're a bit too expensive for me.
Degree: WGU B.S. Network Operations and Security [COMPLETE]
Current Certs: A+ | N+ | S+ | Cloud Essentials+ | Project+ | MTA: OSF | CIW: SDA | ITIL: F | CCENT | CCNA R&S | CCNA | LPI Linux Essentials
Currently Working On: JNCIA-MistAI

2022 Goals: JNCIA-MistAI [ ]
Future Certs: CCNP Enterprise

Comments

• culpanoculpano Member Posts: 163
    Both Pluralsight and CBT Nuggets are very good indeed and helped me pass 70-687. Pluralsight is cheaper but it is based on Windows 8 and not 8.1 but it contains the vast majority of information you need. CBT Nuggets has two 70-687 courses. The WIndows 8.1 version is the shorter course by Anthony Sequeira and the more detailed course is by James Conrad and although based on Windows 8 is an excellent course that goes into a lot of detail. Make sure you do lots of hands on with a lab setup.
  • SpiegelSpiegel Member Posts: 322 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I guess I have another question. To obtain your MCSA, is it only two test or three?
    Current Certs: A+ | N+ | S+ | Cloud Essentials+ | Project+ | MTA: OSF | CIW: SDA | ITIL: F | CCENT | CCNA R&S | CCNA | LPI Linux Essentials

• ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
    To get the MCSA Windows 8.1 is only 2 exams.
    2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
    Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
    CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!
    Makes sense. Guess I was confused when Microsoft mentioned the option to upgrade on their site.

So what would be key areas of the exam I should focus on (software, troubleshooting, support, ect...)?

Spiegel wrote: »
    So what would be key areas of the exam I should focus on (software, troubleshooting, support, ect...)?

You have to look at the objectives for the exam on the MS site.
    If I were to dedicate three months for both the 687 and the 688 exams would that be a sufficient amount of study time?

Yes if you structure your study time well and learn it properly. Despite what a lot of people say about immersing your head in Technet articles I would merely have a quick browse of it for each area. When it came to the exam I found that most of the stuff can be learned from CBT Nuggets and Pluralsight but make sure you have a virtual (and/or physical) lab so you can do it all hands on. Good luck.