Best CISSP Boot Camp?

CV33CV33 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have heard great things about ISC2's boot camp as well as Intense School's boot camp but I wonder if this information is still accurate. What is the best CISSP course?

Is there a common consensus on which camp is the absolute best as of today?

Thanks.icon_cheers.gif

Comments

• CV33CV33 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »

Thanks. With that being 5k, what if I was looking more into the 2.5k range?
  • GuyotronGuyotron Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□

I wholeheartedly recommend that one, also. I'm still paying it off.
  • IaHawkIaHawk Member Posts: 188 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CV33 wrote: »
    Thanks. With that being 5k, what if I was looking more into the 2.5k range?

Work study is an option: https://www.sans.org/work-study/

$900
  • jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I went through The Training Camp's boot camp, highly recommend them... I think it was like 3600 for boot camp including hotel room and breakfast and lunch for 6 days and test voucher

They do them all over the US, I went to Dallas. They have like a 100% pass guarantee now, I think they were running mid 90s 1st time pass when I went through in 2014

http://www.trainingcamp.com/global/training/cissp-certification-bootcamp.aspx
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
    jcundiff wrote: »
    I went through The Training Camp's boot camp, highly recommend them... I think it was like 3600 for boot camp including hotel room and breakfast and lunch for 6 days and test voucher

They do them all over the US, I went to Dallas. They have like a 100% pass guarantee now, I think they were running mid 90s 1st time pass when I went through in 2014

CISSP Certification Camp, CISSP Training Boot Camp - Certified Information Systems Security Professional

Hmmm...interesting. I wish we could set up a poll of the top 5 boot camps and have people vote that passed via boot camps.
  • havoc64havoc64 Member Posts: 213 ■■□□□□□□□□

CISSP Certification Camp, CISSP Training Boot Camp - Certified Information Systems Security Professional

I too attended the Dallas Training Camp course that was sponsored by (ISC)2. It was taught by Buzz Murphy. Of my class mates we had 4-7 of the 19 that didn't pass. Mr Murphy stated that there is no 100% guarantee anymore but I think they offer a second test voucher for free if you don't pass.

The course was intense, with a lot of reading at night. If you get the full course, it includes the class, after hours study groups and a refresher on Saturday before the test. Also they have the meals and lodging bundle which is well worth it. The Dallas class was at the Dex Media conference center and hotel and the rooms were 4 stars and the meals were great.

Mind you, some of my class didn't pass, whether it was due to lack of experience or poor study habits I am unsure. I am sure of this...there is NO class / Bootcamp that can teach you all that you need to know and understand to pass the CISSP.

This is not a memorization of terms type of certification. You have to know your stuff and be able to conceptionalize and apply the practices with a management mindset.

Good luck!
  • kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I've done the trainingcamp.com route myself. It's a LOT of information to absorb in a week. Looking back on it now, it was helpful but I think with the right information, and tools, I could have passed it w/o the class. I think it really depends on how well you study and absorb the info. As far as the free vouch that @havoc64 stated, I don't think that's correct. If I remember you can take the course again for free if you don't pass the first time around.

What I WOULD recommend doing is take the course, and NOT take the exam on the last day. Instead study some more, and use multiple testing engines. I added Transcender to my list, and that seems to help me get over the hump.
    kiki162 wrote: »
    I've done the trainingcamp.com route myself. It's a LOT of information to absorb in a week. Looking back on it now, it was helpful but I think with the right information, and tools, I could have passed it w/o the class. I think it really depends on how well you study and absorb the info. As far as the free vouch that @havoc64 stated, I don't think that's correct. If I remember you can take the course again for free if you don't pass the first time around.

What I WOULD recommend doing is take the course, and NOT take the exam on the last day. Instead study some more, and use multiple testing engines. I added Transcender to my list, and that seems to help me get over the hump.

I don't discount the trainingcamp.com route. I do wonder however why some of you didn't do the SANS course since I have heard they are like the Godfather of all InfoSec training.

Was it the cost?
    After reading into the suggestions, it looks like SANS is the best choice.

Thanks to all that contributed.
  • TankerTTankerT Member Posts: 132
    Interesting commentary. I really liked the InfoSec Institute / Intense School program. I walked in cold and aced the exam the next day in 3 hours. No prior study. Just several years in the industry.
  • GuyotronGuyotron Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on that! An InfoSec Institute salesman is hounding me at work, which is a real turn off. After researching them on the Internet, and finding complaints on 'Ripoff Report', (where SANS has none), I've been avoiding them. Looking at their CISSP training here: CISSP® TRAINING with 93% CISSP Certification pass-rates - InfoSec Institute, any of us who have viewed the Cyrbary CISSP videos (for free) might recognize this individual.
  • No_NerdNo_Nerd Banned Posts: 168
    Right now I am using the trainingcamp online version. Seems like a nice review but I am not sure how much of a " boot camp" this program is. I can't find a CISSP class locally that fits into my schedule due to school.
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Honestly...Cybrary IT plus CBT Nuggets was sufficient. You are gonna have to do some prep work either way but if you don't know the material and know how to managerially apply the information you won't pass anyways. Simply going to a boot camp will not prepare you enough.
    TechGuru80 wrote: »
    Honestly...Cybrary IT plus CBT Nuggets was sufficient. You are gonna have to do some prep work either way but if you don't know the material and know how to managerially apply the information you won't pass anyways. Simply going to a boot camp will not prepare you enough.

Yep I agree with this.....
  • whiteskieswhiteskies Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□

I can vouch for Secure Ninja. I took a course with them. I will say everybody passed I believe and it wasn't a waste of money. Once I was done with my exam I got up and left the room, but as quickly as people finished I would assume we all passed. It was in a classroom. Most facilities don't have 20 computers for people to take an exam. So the guy just came around and entered in his credentials for the Prometric on every computer. I took a course in Alexandria. Parking sucked other than that it was alright. They provided food, donuts, coffee, etc. For the 100K they made in one day they should of had lobster tails lol Not arguing prices of other training facilities, the highest being SANS. But if 20+ people pay 3-5k..well you do the math. I took a SANS course in a hotel and it was probably (I didn't count) 30 people in the room and I know for a fact nobody paid less than 5k unless they used one of those discount vouchers, even then it'll be back over 5K with the exam voucher. These training providers are making a killing. I think people would rather pay a few thousand to get the to the point of what the exam covers rather than buying a 30 dollar book that has 400+ pages for an exam that only has less than 150 questions (more depending on the exam). Made you think didn't it? Don't repeat my statement on another post thinking I don't see it. I will give you negative rep every time I get on TechExams lol #Fact
  • jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Havoc64, we had Marguerite Finnegan and Buzz was auditing/assisting, I went through in November 2014. I only know of 1 in our group that failed, but he didnt put in near the studying that the rest of us did. Our course was at the Crowne Plaza Galleria.

It is intense and I used it boot camp as the polishing after about 6 months of self studying. The 5 11 hour days and refresher for the exam is brutal and if that is all you are using to pass, then I agree with your assessment
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
    Havoc64, we had Marguerite Finnegan and Buzz was auditing/assisting, I went through in November 2014. I only know of 1 in our group that failed, but he didnt put in near the studying that the rest of us did. Our course was at the Crowne Plaza Galleria.

It is intense and I used it boot camp as the polishing after about 6 months of self studying. The 5 11 hour days and refresher for the exam is brutal and if that is all you are using to pass, then I agree with your assessment

Wow! You guys had Finnegan and Buzz...I kept thinking the entire class how Buzz looked like Alec Baldwin...lol
    kiki162 wrote: »

Kiki162, I thought with the "100% Exam Pass Guarantee" that meant if you failed you could do the course again, which includes the test at the end on Saturday.

I tried to find a clear description on Training Camp's website as to what the "100% Exam Pass Guarantee" is but could not find one.
  • cledford3cledford3 Member Posts: 66 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I took training camp and it was a total waste on time and money. Our instructor was horrible and not one of the two previously mentioned. It was his first solo class.

In retrospect - I wish I'd taken SANS. They were my first choice but I balked on the price. You get what you pay for.
    I think I am going to go the infosec institute route. in about 30-90 days because I just couldn't manage a 700 last friday ( only 63icon_cool.gif I did not like the training camp that is just my .02
  • Terminator XTerminator X Member Posts: 60 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I went through SecureNinja. The instructor was awesome.
    -Tact is for those not witty enough to be sarcastic-
    ~Unknown
  • Swimfan2516Swimfan2516 Member Posts: 42 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm going through Training Camp in May 2016. I failed my first attempt with 691 back in December.. But since I changed jobs the new place will pay for a boot camp. I hope I pass the second time around but prep work from now until the start of the boot camp will help me pass.. The boot camp is to really have one week to focus on the material without the everyday distractions. I hope I made a decent choice going the Training Camp route though..
  • Terminator XTerminator X Member Posts: 60 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm going through Training Camp in May 2016. I failed my first attempt with 691 back in December.. But since I changed jobs the new place will pay for a boot camp. I hope I pass the second time around but prep work from now until the start of the boot camp will help me pass.. The boot camp is to really have one week to focus on the material without the everyday distractions. I hope I made a decent choice going the Training Camp route though..

This is exactly what I did and it worked out for the better.
    -Tact is for those not witty enough to be sarcastic-
    ~Unknown
  • xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    Resurrect the dead!

Need help deciding and hoping you guys can chime in. I have no previous study sessions of the CISSP and my choices right now are taking a Mentor class with SANS MGT414 course (request time off) or the online bootcamp with Infosec Institute (request time off). The rep made a point that the live online bootcamp (7 days straight) with Infosec Institute is way better than a mentor class with SANS (meetup once a week). This will all take pass in the following months, plan on taking my exam around the May time frame with intense self-study prep before hand.

Thought, opinions?

Edit: Anyone have any experience with Infosec Institute?
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • tater_totstater_tots Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Has anyone taken CyberVista's live online prep course?
    https://shop.cybervista.net/collections/test-preparation/products/cissp-test-prep?variant=33855823366
    I am registered to take the CISSP exam on June 15th (2017), so a good amount of time to prep. Still, want to make sure I prepare well.
    TIA
  • c5rookiec5rookie Member Posts: 53 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you're good at self study, I would suggest Larry Greenblatt's CISSP youtube videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ept-...=RDept-Mn-a3xE The cost is much lower than a bootcamp, and he covers all the material required. I used his videos along with https://www.cccure.org/ https://www.freepracticetests.org/quiz/index.php to study and get the cert. Hope it helps.
  • clarkincnetclarkincnet Member Posts: 256 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I took Training Camp and would recommend it. There were two people there that had done zero preparation ahead of the class and passed the test on the last day. I DO NOT recommend going that route. The test kicked their butt. Many people did not pass. I studied four months before the class and was VERY thankful for that one-on-one time with the material.
    Give a hacker an exploit, and they will have access for a day, BUT teach them to phish, and they will have access for the rest of their lives!

Have: CISSP, CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, ITIL-F