Options

CCNA- should I take it one part at a time or both same time?

jah8887jah8887 Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
I see theres an ICND1 and ICND2 tests to make the CCNA. I am debating whether or not to take both at same time or do ICND1 first and then 2 or vice versa. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Depends on how comfortable you are with Cisco IOS and networking in general. Do you have any experience in networking? If so, then take the combined exam 200-120. Also, you cannot do ICND2 before ICND1. You have to take ICND1 and pass before you can take ICND2 no exceptions or workarounds for that. The only other suggestion is to take the 200-120 exam. This covers both ICND1 and 2 in 1 exam. It is a brutal exam but if you have experience in networking, may be the best route to take. If you are new to networking, take the 2 exam path as it is less material to have to digest per exam and gives you 2 certs instead of one. Also, please look at cisco.com for more information about certifications as this could have been answered by looking at the site. Best of luck in your decision.
  • Options
    mkazimkazi Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would most definitely take 1 exam (CCNA R&S 200-120). Like kMastahFlash said it really depends on your comfort level and experience with networking. I just feel that by studying all the material and take a 55-60 question exam and be done with it is a much better route even if you are new to networking.
    "No person is your friend. No person is your enemy. Every person is your teacher." -unknown

Goals 2016: CCNA Sec OR CCNP R&S
  • Options
    fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Take the composite =P One exam, one trip to testing center...
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,231 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Composite! One and done.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Going to respectfully disagree with the majority. I would do 2 exams and here is why. There is TONS of information in ICND1. Once you get through Odom's CCENT book, you should go and test to make sure you pass. Then move on to ICND2. Otherwise you move on to ICND2 without knowing whether you got it or not.

Of course if you aren't new to networking or are re-certifying then the 1 exam makes more sense.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I took the single composite exam back in the day, 640-802 - it's a tough exam but I studied all the ICND1 and 2 material and nailed it fairly easily.
  • Options
    GDainesGDaines Member Posts: 273 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A colleague of mine did the official Cisco training courses then (I assume) studied at home for 6 months before going for his exam. He took the combined exam and said he thought it was quite easy - passed first attempt. I know where he works only just installed Cisco switches around the time he went on the training courses, so as far as I know he's not had access to real kit for ages beforehand.

Still in two minds myself as to which route to take. Often someone posts a question on here, or I come across something at work that I have to Google the answer, which makes me think I'm not ready enough to do a single shot. But then it would be nice to get it in one go...
  • Options
    No_NerdNo_Nerd Banned Posts: 168
    No shame in google my friend. I have friends who are CCNP certified and sometimes have to google things .
  • Options
    jah8887jah8887 Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I appreciate everyone's response. I am familiar with networking and know some basic simple commands for Cisco equipment. I think I may take one exam and then come back for the other. Its funny I can work with the equipment and know the stuff but when it comes to testing on it, I miss simple things and get them wrong.
  • Options
    gncsmithgncsmith Member Posts: 459 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jah8887 wrote: »
    Its funny I can work with the equipment and know the stuff but when it comes to testing on it, I miss simple things and get them wrong.

A case of the exam jitters? Relax, however you need to, and be confident in your answers (easier said than done, right?). You'll do fine, and even if you do not pass, you'll learn in what areas you need to grow.

Good luck, sounds like you'll do fine though.