Options

CPEs (applies to ISACA, ISC2, EC-Council, etc)

nrgskillnrgskill Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi there, just wanted to open a topic where we can summarize how we can keep up with the CPEs
This is for those that are members of multiple certification authorities.
I'd like if anyone who would reply to provide some personal suggestion, and reply others' questions (not just ask)

Webinars
:
I just register myself to attend every single webinar and events provided by the cert bodies.
Because most of the times all the cert bodies validate their own things, it will be easy to provide proof in case of an audit.
If you have multiple memberships, all of them will likely guarantee all the CPEs you need

Official magazines:
Cert bodies have their own magazines, some free, other paid.
ISC2: free with membership, automatic CPE submission
ISACA: 2 options paid and free, automatic CPE submission after passing a simple quiz
CompTIA: ?
EC-Council: ?

Books:
How many hour of CPEs can I submit each book I read? (mostly InfoSec manuals)
ISC2: ?
ISACA: ?
EC-COUNCIL: ?
COMPTIA: ?

Certifications from other entities
:
What is the maximum I an submit?
CompTIA: 50 (they have a list of accepted certs, not all are applicable I guess)
ISC2: 30 for each exam preparation study (even if you don't pass the exam) - post #2
ISACA: ?
EC-COUNCIL: ?

Other courses:
When attending courses, ask for a certificate of completion stating the total amount of hours
ISACA: as many as stated by the course completion certificate with no limit?
ISC2: as many as stated by the course completion certificate with no limit?
ISACA: as many as stated by the course completion certificate with no limit?
EC-COUNCIL: as many as stated by the course completion certificate with no limit?

Conferences:
All the certification bodies have their own "events" sections, if you attend any conference, most likely the CPE submission will be automatic. Also other external entities provide CPEs with automatic submission (ex. Gartner, post #2), but because these are geographically accessible, will will not list them here.

Guidelines:
ISC2: https://www.isc2.org/uploadedfiles/(isc)2_member_content/cpes/cpe_guidelines.pdf
ISACA: "Maintain your Cxxx (left menu)", "CPE Policy (right menu)" http://www.isaca.org/Certification/Pages/default.aspx

Comments

• Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You should always try to get CPE's from other sources besides the certification body that requires the CPE's. This will get you those credits faster, easier and the most important, expand your knowledge outside of the certification. Last time I attended a Gartner conference I earned 17 CPE's towards CISSP. That would satisfy half of the yearly requirements right away plus Gartner submitted the CPE's.

When other people, vendors or organizations submit your CPE's, that means less work for you to keep track as it will automatically show on your IC2 record. I do the same thing with one of my vendors as well, they offer 2-3 webinars a month that gains your 1 CPE for every hour. Again by doing this you have a steady stream of CPE's coming in that you do not have to worry about tracking or submitting. Needless to say I ended the year with 75 CPE's when only 40 were required. And because the vendor tracks the attendance, I do not have to.

Also, ISC2 publishes 6 issues of their InfoSecurity magazine that will net you 12 CPE's a year guaranteed.

For certifications of other entities ISC2 will allow you to claim up to 30 CPE's for 30 Hours for the preparation work. That means that regardless if you pass or fail you can still claim 30 CPE's credits. I claimed 30 CPE's towards my CISSP for studying for ITIL. So there is a limit, you can only claim up to 30.
  • Options
    nrgskillnrgskill Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    ...For certifications of other entities ISC2 will allow you to claim up to 30 CPE's for 30 Hours for the preparation work. That means that regardless if you pass or fail you can still claim 30 CPE's credits. I claimed 30 CPE's towards my CISSP for studying for ITIL. So there is a limit, you can only claim up to 30.

cool, anyone else knows if this also applies to ISACA, CompTIA, EC-Council? do they have different limits?
  • Options
    Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    They do have different limits. If I recall correctly, passing a relevant certification exam is 40 hours for EC Council(120 if this is a ECC exam) and 2X exam time for ISACA. Check their respective web site for details.