CEH not worth it

stephens316stephens316 Member Posts: 203 ■■■■□□□□□□
I have spent $1500 studying for the v8 CEH I got a special deal from EC Council on $1000 Online study which was online training via Youtube videos in a secure format and wordpress website . The instructor was very dry and i fell asleep through most of the videos because I was not learning anything. I went through all the labs Microsoft azure environments and completed them. Because I am only systems admin in my office i don't have a lot of free time to study or take the exam. I wanted to take the exam in Oct then right as i register I find out they switched the exam. I contacted the testing company to move my exam date. out to later in the spring but because i used a voucher code from EC it would not allowed to be moved so i just canceled it all together.

I also bought EC Council books off Ebay for $300 which i will be selling on ebay for $300 I think they want you to pay alot for those books as well its not worth it it just the power point slides with out and reading which is a waste of time.

Overall i think its time to stand up and de-value this cert

I once thought highly of getting this cert but compared to everything else i feel this was a waste money and time

on ward to CISSP a real value cert
Free Reading : History Books

Comments

• IronmanXIronmanX Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I know nothing about the online videos. I studied by taking the in person course, books, and labs.

What online study videos did you take that you thought where very well done? (I see a few Sans courses in your list)
    Are you using online videos for CISSP studying?

If you don't need this cert for work then yeah probably not worth it.
    However if you do need a cert to fulfill DOD requirements this is the most worthwhile cert (CEH vs 3 SANS certs and SSCP) .
  • stephens316stephens316 Member Posts: 203 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The videos were from EC-Council, I am using Cybary IT for my CISSP along with 5 books and I will take a class with SANS to go over that before taking the CISSP. http://iase.disa.mil/iawip/Pages/iabaseline.aspx according to this I am at a higher level than anyone holding a CEH for DoD http://iase.disa.mil/iawip/Pages/iabaseline.aspxlus I am old school that's what IASO under my certs is the old security training you had to have by DoD. Hence why I am looking at CISSP for now i don't really have to climb any ladders more for personal growth. I guess i should someone I know that is high above the food chain at DoD asking to remove CEH and add OSCP
  • TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Why didn't you do something like CBT Nuggets and/or Sybex?
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yeah, I'm even ashamed to put it here under my certs, lol

Still, employers put lots of value into it, it's not uncommon to see something like "Security certifications such as CISSP, CEH, GIAC are a plus" in job descriptions. Where's CISSP and where's CEH, my ass.
  • stephens316stephens316 Member Posts: 203 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I did use other materials but its the whole EC-Council that made this go south.
  • IronmanXIronmanX Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I did use other materials but its the whole EC-Council that made this go south.

I haven't seen the EC Council videos but if its anything like the course "book" (a million slides) I can see why it is not very good.
    I believe OSCP has no plans to become 8750 approved. They would need to implement a new testing method and become ANSI approved.