Passed the GCED Today

stephens316stephens316 Member Posts: 203 ■■■■□□□□□□
Passed the GCED Today:Dicon_cheers.gif

After spending 6 days at a downtown Chicago hotel in September. I finally took my GCED exam today The only reason I took this class is because work paid for the Work Study Program and this was the only class available for me. The test lines up pretty well with the class/objectives and there's a bit of everything represented.

I finished with 40 mins to spare. Could have probably slowed down on the last 50 or so questions but I was worried about not finishing them all and guessing. Exam took me about 2 hours, and scored an 78%. I brought my Index some 22 pages ( I found I could not focus on the books, I would think one thing was in one book but it was different book ) I read the books a total of 2 times (once in class, once for index and the week leading to the exam). Know your tools. Play with them. Understand how one is different from other similar ones. If you have the books make sure you read those appendixes. Index every single tool you read about.

Took the following to the exam center:
- SANS 6 books
- index (around 22 pages).
- TCPdump **** sheet
- NMAP **** sheet
- WireShark **** sheet
- RTFM
- intrusion discovery win/*nix).

Small center. Only 2 other people in for testing and both were Overall I'm happy with the materials I learned and it did give me a better understanding of certain aspects of security

My next step is GCIH in a few months.
Free Reading : History Books

Comments

• jamthatjamthat Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Good luck with GCIH
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats on the pass! Good luck on your GCIH pursuit. I'm planning on challenging soon.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • stephens316stephens316 Member Posts: 203 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass! Good luck on your GCIH pursuit. I'm planning on challenging soon.

Congratulations on the pass. I was thinking of challenging the GCED next year, training dollars are getting scare at work. The material is pretty close to the GSEC from what's I'm hearing, just a little more in-depth.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
    TechGromit wrote: »
    Congratulations on the pass. I was thinking of challenging the GCED next year, training dollars are getting scare at work. The material is pretty close to the GSEC from what's I'm hearing, just a little more in-depth.

Just sign up for work study
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just sign up for work study

Since you hold both the GSEC and GCED certifications, would you say the material is pretty close in content? Work Study? Do you mean facilitate? I might try that next year as well, but I want to go for something like GCIA or GPEN.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
    some yes and lot more in depth it would be worth your time to get a plan together

Mine :
    GSEC
    GCED
    CISSP/GCIH
    GPEN
    GCIA

work study yes
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Brain-DBrain-D Member Posts: 134
    Congrats!!! Great job!
  • clintoniaclintonia Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • tumblejermtumblejerm Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have taken the GCED course in San Diego in May 2016. And I have been struggling to prepare for this test. I have created an Index of all 6 books and took my first practice exam and got a 49% icon_sad.gif. I thought my index failed me and had a hard time finding the tools and attack types from within my Index and really don't know how to improve it as I spent over 8 hours creating the index.

Is there any way I could borrow your index and I could e-mail you mine as well to see if i'm doing it right etc. This has been giving me anxiety for months now and I'm not sure what else to do.