How best to prepare for the CE|H in a short period of time?

JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
We had money released to our IT department for training as of today, and I've opted to take CE|H. I know nothing about prepping for this cert.

There will be a week of classroom training and ideally I would like to turn around a few days after that and take and pass the exam.

I've looked thru a few threads here and some recommend setting up a VM/template of Kali to lab scenarios with.

I work with nmap, traceroute and netcat daily from the CLI in RHEL, so I'm no stranger to that, however I'm sure there are WAY more tools out there.

So can anyone make recommendations on resources to use for this test?

thanks
***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
-unknown

Comments

• TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Is there a cap? There are more tools obviously than just those...especially on the CEH. Picking up either the official study materials or something like the All-In-One Guide would be useful. CBT Nuggets videos are pretty good as well.....no matter what you get just try to get the newest released materials otherwise you might be missing information.
  • JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    TechGuru80 wrote: »
    ....no matter what you get just try to get the newest released materials otherwise you might be missing information.

Ya, there seems to be a schism. The test given in now v9, however looks like most of the study material is geared towards v8.

Not sure what is going on here.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • grungeisevilgrungeisevil Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If there's one thing you could focus on and pass, it would be the the tools. Know what they are and how to use them.
    If there's one thing you could focus on and pass, it would be the the tools. Know what they are and how to use them.

Well, that obvious.

Just trying to figure out what is going on with the change from v8 to v9 and study resources to get, such as a book.

-unknown

-unknown
  • clintoniaclintonia Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    JockVSJock wrote: »

That book may help but keep in mind that book is for v8 and they're on v9 as you already mentioned, so there may be some information missing in that book. I don't think any v9 books have come out yet, so the only option is the v9 courseware direct from EC-Council at the moment
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am not sure why the people keep saying that there are a lot of tools in the CEH, sure when you are studying for the exam a lot of tools is been mention but during the exam most of the time is applying some concepts and results or type of attack, etc.

Try to drill the material and you will be fine.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• emilyanncremilyanncr Banned Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    We had money released to our IT department for training as of today, and I've opted to take CE|H. I know nothing about prepping for this cert.

There will be a week of classroom training and ideally I would like to turn around a few days after that and take and pass the exam.

I've looked thru a few threads here and some recommend setting up a VM/template of Kali to lab scenarios with.

I work with nmap, traceroute and netcat daily from the CLI in RHEL, so I'm no stranger to that, however I'm sure there are WAY more tools out there.

So can anyone make recommendations on resources to use for this test?

thanks

The most useful advice I could give you is to use Kali as your main operating system. That way you will learn all the tools. Just fiddiling around with it here and there isn't enough. The tools covered go far and beyond nmap... I did away with Windows 6 months ago and it's the best decision I've made. I not only love it but the experience and information I've acquired by using it everyday is something that is required by employers. If you don't know Kali Linux at least as well as you know Windows, I'd say there's little shot of passing. I'd also get the AIO practice guide by Matt Walker and EC-Councils v9 courseware as v9 is much harder than v8. If you look hard enough, you can find both for free on torrent sites.
    emilyanncr wrote: »
    I'd also get the AIO practice guide by Matt Walker and EC-Councils v9 courseware as v9 is much harder than v8. If you look hard enough, you can find both for free on torrent sites.

I don't get it.

Some say there isn't a version (v8 or v9) and then others say there is...

Anyways, I have access to Skillport and going thru their slides. Also went thru FedVTE training. Class kicks off in two weeks.

-unknown
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    I don't get it.

Some say there isn't a version (v8 or v9) and then others say there is...

Anyways, I have access to Skillport and going thru their slides. Also went thru FedVTE training. Class kicks off in two weeks.

The official line is that there is v8 and v9 courseware but the current exam is versionless. The idea is that the exam will be regularly updated, but the courseware will trail behind the updates. Which some people have said is completely ridiculous because "how can you study for an exam if you don't know what it is testing".

Reading the v8 book isn't going to be a waste of time, but even on the 'v8' version of the exam (before the exam went versionless), there was a good amount of stuff on the exam that wasn't covered in the book. I used that v8 all in one book and did the transcender practice exam and there were still a few questions that weren't covered but I knew answers from other places.

I had also read the v6 book about 12 or 18months previously, and there was a good deal of overlap between those to versions.

Personally, I found the v8 courseware not much use in comparison to the All in one book. But given the current lack of other good and current sources for study, the version 9 courseware is probably your best chance of getting the overview needed of what might be tested.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • occupy4elesoccupy4eles Banned Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    OctalDump wrote: »
    The official line is that there is v8 and v9 courseware but the current exam is versionless. The idea is that the exam will be regularly updated, but the courseware will trail behind the updates. Which some people have said is completely ridiculous because "how can you study for an exam if you don't know what it is testing".

Reading the v8 book isn't going to be a waste of time, but even on the 'v8' version of the exam (before the exam went versionless), there was a good amount of stuff on the exam that wasn't covered in the book. I used that v8 all in one book and did the transcender practice exam and there were still a few questions that weren't covered but I knew answers from other places.

I had also read the v6 book about 12 or 18months previously, and there was a good deal of overlap between those to versions.

Personally, I found the v8 courseware not much use in comparison to the All in one book. But given the current lack of other good and current sources for study, the version 9 courseware is probably your best chance of getting the overview needed of what might be tested.

I've been researching a lot about this on the forums and everyone I've seen says v8 only covers about 50% of the exam, even though officially everyone from EC Council and everywhere else will swear up and down the exam is versionless. Of course it's not going to be the same exam every year like they claim. New material is going to be added as the use of new technologies increases. Others on different posts in Techexams have said, after taking the exam, there is no longer a buffer overflow module and they have a cloud security one in it's place. It also addresses the risk management framework which was not at all mentioned in the v8 AIO guide. I went through the entire thing.

YES the AIO VERSION 9 IS OUT. You can buy it on amazon. Just takes a little googling ;)
  • occupy4elesoccupy4eles Banned Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    even with the courseware though, there's a lottttt of material. Congrats on your pass!
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    I'm not sure who you mean when you say "the same exam every year like they claim". My understanding was that the change from versioned exams to versionless basically just reduces the time between revisions and stops the telegraphing of change in advance. I'm not convinced that last part is a good thing.

Yeah, the risk management framework stuff wasn't in the AIO guide, BUT it was on the practice test, so must have been "known" about back in the v8 days. I think there was also some secure development lifecycle stuff on the practice exam that wasn't in the AIO.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM