Passed BGP

EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
Got 912, lots of pictures,not enough time as usual.3 sims and not easy one's either,so that was a change.I couldnt finish the last sim,got most of it but didnt know how to finish the last little bit,strange.
I used Cisco's rel3.1 training notes,and doyle version 2, they didnt cover everything as about 3 questions i didnt know.Old bgp books like doyle halabi are not enough as the exam has new features.
I should have used the DocDC a little more i guess.
All in all difficult exam, i felt i knew the material very well going in but what still stumpted on a couple of questions.Anyway its the most stressful exam on time yet!
Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$

Comments

• AlienAlien Member Posts: 398
    Congrats.
    Hard times on planet earth.
  • HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    congrats ed :)
    Now working full time!
  • Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nice Score ed_the_lad

Congratulations
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations! icon_thumright.gif

This was a fun one -- all those exhibits eat up a lot of time. I finished with 10 minutes to spare. I had a flakey Sim, but suspect it may have been a trial ungraded one (since I had one more than you). Another sim wouldn't accept a command (that showed up using ?), so I used the "other version" of the command.

As far as exam challenges go -- I'd rate this one even tougher than the "nothing but testlets" IP Telephony Design exam. The R&S written exam seemed easier after taking this one.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    icon_thumright.gif
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • david_rdavid_r Member Posts: 112
  • wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    Well done ED!

Im going to tackle this or the combined MPLS BGP exam after I do the Qos one this friday icon_confused.gif

Havent decided on single or combined, I guess you did this as progress to CCIE?
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
  • EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    wildfire wrote:
    Well done ED!

Im going to tackle this or the combined MPLS BGP exam after I do the Qos one this friday icon_confused.gif

Havent decided on single or combined, I guess you did this as progress to CCIE?

Thanks to all, yep everything i'm studying i'm trying to gear towards the ccie,
    but saying that i'm gonna have to complete the ccip even though mpls isnt part of the overall goal.Maybe combining mpls and bgp is the way to go, i flew through the bgp material, very enjoyable and interesting but the exam is
    a bit of a mare,maybe better to take mpls and bgp together,anyway once i get through cit next ill be onto the mpls.
  • sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    Well done.
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]
  • steve-o87steve-o87 Member Posts: 274
    Sweet!! Congrats icon_cheers.gif
    I am the lizard King. I can do anything.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    wildfire wrote:
    combined MPLS BGP exam
    I thought about it -- but got scared off by the posts on the Cisco Certification Forum. I could see trying the exam once, maybe twice -- but after a while those people who were posting should take the hint and focus on the individual topics and take the individual exams -- but for some reason they always seemed to go back for the combined exam.

MPLS was "new and exciting" -- so the MPLS exam seemed like "more fun" than the BGP exam. I had more time left at the end of the MPLS exam than I did the BGP exam, but that was probably more due to only getting the expected number of Sims (which worked without any problems). More exhibit questions -- and more "complex" questions -- but I guess after BGP I was ready for this one. It is possible that the MPLS exam could be even harder than the BGP exam -- but since the BGP exam reminded me I wasn't in Kansas anymore, there was no intimiditation factor for this exam and I just remember MPLS as an interesting tough exam.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    I dont worry about the posts on Cisco forums, I see people on there all the time. I know that the pass mark for the combined is tough and I know someone who sayt it recently, but he did the BGP exam passed and then because his MPLS wasnt 100% took the combined and passed. I figure less questions less sims but at a harder level! maybe I will be back on here in a few months with my tail between my legs saying how hard it was, but hey why not give it a go??
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
  • MrDMrD Member Posts: 441
    I'm thinking about this one after CIT, so is there any new material out there I should get to study with or just go with what you did (Cisco's release 3.1 training notes,and doyle version 2)? Thanks.
    MrD wrote:
    I'm thinking about this one after CIT, so is there any new material out there I should get to study with or just go with what you did (Cisco's release 3.1 training notes,and doyle version 2)? Thanks.

I would probably read halabi aswell,i just glanced at this as i thaught i would leave this book for pre ccie reading.3.1 training notes and doyle cover 90% but maybe using halabi with cisco.com you could cover 100%
    I was hoping to do this exam possibly after I finish my BSCI on the 22nd of December. For my BSCI studies I plan on reading the Self-Study by Teare/Paquet as well as Halabi. How much extra reading is required to pass this exam? If I added the doyle chapters into my reading list would that get me most of the way?
    Now working full time!
    If you use them books, check under "router bgp x" for any commands you dont know,check the commands on the cisco site and you should be sorted.It only took me 2 weeks of studying for this exam,thats because i was really into it.I dont remember a boring section, and i cant say that for any other exam.The exam is very difficult though,if you dont understand everything well you will have a hard time passing.
    I'm doing MPLS at the moment, i should have finished a couple of weeks ago but life sometimes gets in the way of study.Mpls is a different kettle of fish to study for than bgp, i'm very tired now, you dont wanna know how many books i've read.The problem with the ccip is theres no clear track like the ccnp exam guides.Anyway i'll finish up in afew days once i finish going over internet vpns.
    I need a holiday from certs......
    ed_the_lad wrote:
    If you use them books, check under "router bgp x" for any commands you dont know,check the commands on the cisco site and you should be sorted.It only took me 2 weeks of studying for this exam,thats because i was really into it.I dont remember a boring section, and i cant say that for any other exam.The exam is very difficult though,if you dont understand everything well you will have a hard time passing.
    I'm doing MPLS at the moment, i should have finished a couple of weeks ago but life sometimes gets in the way of study.Mpls is a different kettle of fish to study for than bgp, i'm very tired now, you dont wanna know how many books i've read.The problem with the ccip is theres no clear track like the ccnp exam guides.Anyway i'll finish up in afew days once i finish going over internet vpns.
    I need a holiday from certs......

Thanks for the heads up. I figure if I have been studying for the BSCI I might as well finish up the BGP exam with some more reading...Hopefully I can schedule that for the second week of January.....That leaves me with about 2 weeks of extra study for BGP with x-mas excluded from that. What do you think? aslong as I put my head to the books I should be ok.
    Now working full time!
  • apd123apd123 Member Posts: 171
    MrD wrote:

Where can these release notes be obtained?