Passed 70-411 Today 12-02-16

The Scotch EggThe Scotch Egg Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

Passed 70-411 today with a score of 888.

Resources used:

- CBT nuggets 70-411 series R2 updates. (my main source, watched them to get all the concepts)
- Exam Ref: 70-411 (Not used too much, more of a source to check sources if you know what I mean?)
- Technet (used more than the book, again just to fill in bits I felt were missed from the video series)

I think the key was, bearing in mind I failed 70-410 twice and passed 411 1st time was... labbing.

I labbed so hard.. like hours and hours and hours, built labs tore them down... build them again... made sure I fully understood the concepts, every topic covered in the exam I had a working lab solution of... including direct access, RRAS, NPS, RADIUS... (which can be tricky when using Hyper-V and VM's but the more you try and work the problems out, the more familiar you become.)

Any questions.. Please ask :D
MTA 98-365 (Server Admin) | 70-410 | 70-411 | 70-412 | MCSA Windows Server 2012

Comments

• NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • BoxxerBoxxer Member Posts: 25 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • sammysamesammysame Member Posts: 13 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats and thanks for sharing, that's my next exam too - FWIW, I failed the 70-410 once before passing it yesterday
  • Brain-DBrain-D Member Posts: 134
    Congrats!! Great job!
  • PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well done, congrats!
    :study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats!
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well done! Now I can tell that I've met at least one person online who used direct access!
  • gncsmithgncsmith Member Posts: 459 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • poolmanjimpoolmanjim Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats. The 70-411 was a toughie for me. I didn't like that test. :)
    2019 Goals: Security+
    2020 Goals: 70-744, Azure
    Completed: MCSA 2012 (01/2016), MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure (07/2017), MCSA 2017 (09/2017)
    Future Goals: CISSP, CCENT
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! icon_cheers.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • joeswfcjoeswfc Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Are you going to do the 70-412 next or one of the other options?
  • jones551jones551 Member Posts: 154 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Muhammed HMuhammed H Member Posts: 93 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Was there lots of powershell questions?
  • knownheroknownhero Member Posts: 450
    Muhammed I passed mine a few months back and I had a few. I would just study powershell in general. I use it at work every day. Its not about learning it for the test, its using it when in the real world.

granted mine is for SharePoint but I do some work with AD for which I use PS
    70-410 [x] 70-411 [x] 70-462[x] 70-331[x] 70-332[x]
    MCSE - SharePoint 2013 :thumbup:

Road map 2017: JavaScript and modern web development

Muhammed H wrote: »
    Was there lots of powershell questions?

I find it is good to lab things out in a test environment when studying, it is a good idea to do everything twice (once using the GUI and the other through powershell) that way you'll have both covered for the exam.
  • The Scotch EggThe Scotch Egg Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    joeswfc wrote: »
    Congrats! Are you going to do the 70-412 next or one of the other options?

I will be doing the 70-412 next... studying for it now.
  • The Scotch EggThe Scotch Egg Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Muhammed H wrote: »
    Was there lots of PowerShell questions?

Not as many as what people lead you to believe, like a 50/50 split or something like that is silly, although it may vary as there is a pool of exam questions so some people may end up with more PowerShell than others, I like the PowerShell I do alot of scripting with it in my day to day job so once you get a feel for it combind with some studying I feel I can pick out the correct answers pretty well.

Well good luck with that one! Found it really hard, it took me 3 tries to pass
  • poolmanjimpoolmanjim Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not as many as what people lead you to believe, like a 50/50 split or something like that is silly, although it may vary as there is a pool of exam questions so some people may end up with more PowerShell than others, I like the PowerShell I do alot of scripting with it in my day to day job so once you get a feel for it combind with some studying I feel I can pick out the correct answers pretty well.

On the 410 I had about 50% of the Questions with at least one Powershell cmdlet on the page. The other exams it ended up being more like 25-40% I would estimate on average.
    2019 Goals: Security+
    2020 Goals: 70-744, Azure
    Completed: MCSA 2012 (01/2016), MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure (07/2017), MCSA 2017 (09/2017)
    Future Goals: CISSP, CCENT

Also, are you using CBT nuggets for this one as well? If you are, they are really good for this exam, but you need to follow along in a lab really as they are a lot of complex topics.
  • TerrierJimTerrierJim Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just passed this exam myself this morning with a score of 700!...was convinced I'd failed so really relieved to get through it, albeit by the skin of my teeth! I have to say this was much tougher than the 410 in my opinion. There were so many questions which I didn't touch on during my 3+months of study (2 x official MS press books, home lab, technet, transcender). Don't think I'm gonna use MS books next time...I don't think they went in to enough detail. Can anyone recommend another publisher?

My tips to pass this exam, which I think some of the earlier posters have touched on too:
    1) do everything twice (once with the GUI and once with Powershell)
    2) study the GUI i.e. know what options are on what screens, context menus etc. - just because a particular area of the GUI may seem insignificant to you doesn't mean it won't appear on the exam! This is where doing plenty of labs will help.
    3) know the domain/forest functional levels and domain controller versions required for all features
    4) know your GPOs relating to the exam objectives e.g. BitLocker, DirectAccess
    5) don't presume that passing a mock exam will mean you can pass the real one!

Torn between the Office 365 and Hyper-V exams to complete my MCSA...365 is probably more applicable to my day to day job but Hyper-V interests me more. Anyone done either of these and care to comment on the difficulty?
  • gncsmithgncsmith Member Posts: 459 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□