Options

Issue installing Server 2012 on Vmware Workstation

AB.CalculusAB.Calculus Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
Greetings all,

I am having problems installing Server 2012 R2 (Technet Evaluation) onto Vmware workstation. After selecting GUI option, it installs and the screen goes black after awhile. Do anyone know what is the case?

Comments

• Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Greetings all,

I am having problems installing Server 2012 R2 (Technet Evaluation) onto Vmware workstation. After selecting GUI option, it installs and the screen goes black after awhile. Do anyone know what is the case?

inactivity perhaps.
  • Options
    poolmanjimpoolmanjim Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When you created the VM did you immediately attach a iso of the OS to it as a DVD to do the installation?

I have had issues (Hyper-V) where doing that from the start caused some strange issues. Try booting the VM without an OS or a boot iso and then shutdown, attach the iso and try again.
    2019 Goals: Security+
    2020 Goals: 70-744, Azure
    Completed: MCSA 2012 (01/2016), MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure (07/2017), MCSA 2017 (09/2017)
    Future Goals: CISSP, CCENT
  • Options
    poolmanjim wrote: »
    When you created the VM did you immediately attach a iso of the OS to it as a DVD to do the installation?

I have, after the install, it restarts and sometimes it goes to Server Manager and sometimes screen goes black.
  • Options
    Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What version of Workstation are you using? What is your host OS?
    Did you install VMware tools in your VM?
  • Options
    Mike7 wrote: »
    What version of Workstation are you using? What is your host OS?
    Did you install VMware tools in your VM?

Vmware Player 6.0.7 with W7 32-bit as host.
  • Options
    Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think there is a newer version of VMware player. And did you install VMware tools? They help improve server performance and add features such as improved graphics.

Alternatively, you can use VirtualBox which is free. Install integration component after installing your guest OS.
  • Options
    netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    can you run a 64b it OS VM on a 32bit host? that maybe your issue
  • Options
    BornToBeMildBornToBeMild Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    netsysllc wrote: »
    can you run a 64b it OS VM on a 32bit host? that maybe your issue

It depends on whether you have a 64 bit CPU, and whether Intel VT is available and enabled in the BIOS (or the AMD equivalent). If you have, then it should work on a 32 bit OS, but it will likely struggle with getting enough memory.

OP: A quick search found this, which looks a bit like your problem:

VMWare Workstation with Windows Server 2012 Black Screen After VMWare Tools Install | LaBareWeb System Center Blog