Options

MCSE Desktop Infrastructure Retired

Commguy23Commguy23 Member Posts: 55 ■■■□□□□□□□
It looks like all of the MCSE specializations have just been retired, with the exception of the Server Infrastructure certification. I have been working towards the MCSE Desktop Infrastructure cert, since it includes RDS which is what our company mostly works with. I completed the 70-415 and went to register for the 70-416 exam and found that it has been retired a couple of weeks ago.

So, I am out of luck since the 416 no longer exists. I do need to obtain an MCSE to keep my position at work, so it looks like the only route to go is the MCSE Server Infrastructure.

Is it worth it to start studying for this cert or will this be retiring soon and a replacement coming out?

Also, I originally obtained my MCSA in server 2008, and became MCSA server 2012 certified by taking thew upgrade exam a few years ago. Will the MCSA 2012 apply towards the MCSE? Or would they require I also took the 3 2012 MCSA exams as well? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The 70-416 was announced it was going to retire awhile ago... well at least 6 months ago. For desktop specialization it looks like the MSCE: Devices and Apps seems to be the new version of it. I'm not sure if your 70-415 transfers over to anything though unfortunately.

And there are still a bunch of other MSCE specializations as well.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Here is the official page on what has been retired and what they have scheduled to retire. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/retired-certification-exams.aspx

the Desktop Infrastructure is the only one that retired recently from what I can see.
  • Options
    Ok thank you. I will be going down the path of Server Infrastructure.

Can anyone confirm though, that all I need to take is the 413 and the 414? In the past, I had taken the three exams to obtain MCSA Server 2008 (I forget the exam numbers). Then, I took the upgrade exam (I believe 417) to obtain the MCSA in Server 2012. I just want to make sure that I need to only pass the 413 and 414 to obtain MCSE, and that I will not need to take the three 2012 MCSA exams? Thank you.
  • Options
    BornToBeMildBornToBeMild Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes, if you have MCSA 2012 it doesn't matter which route you took to get it. Good luck!
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Your best bet to see which exams you need are to look at Microsoft's MCSE page and click on the specialization you want. In the case of MCSE: Server Infrastructure, you do in fact need 70-413 and 70-414. As for MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure, it was replaced with MCSE: Enterprise Devices and Apps.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Hawk321Hawk321 Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I do need to obtain an MCSE to keep my position at work

Wow...what kind of employer do you have?
    Degree in
    computer science, focus on IT-Security.
    CCNA R+S and CCNA CyberOPS
    LPIC-1,LPIC-2,LPIC-3: Security
    Ubiquiti: UBRSS+UBRSA
    some other certs...

• Options
    @Borntobemild - Thanks for confirming!

@Slowhand, Thanks for the info as well, I am familiar with the page. I was interested in the Desktop Infrastructure because a large majority of the topics covered were RDS, remote desktop and remote apps. We heavily use remote desktop server farms to publish desktops and apps to users. To my knowledge, none of the other MCSE paths cover RDS like the Desktop Infrastructure did. I am very familiar with all things terminal server / RDS, so this was the easiest route for me, but moving forward I will be now working towards the Server Infrastructure MCSE.

@Hawk321, I know it sounds crazy. We do have different tiers of support positions. Each tier requires a specific level of education (ie bachelors degree), a minimum years of experience (ie 10 years in IT), and a certain level of certifications (ie VCP / MCSE). It also helps to keep high level positions current in technology (ie avoids having someone with 10 years experience in a Tier 3 position when they never advanced their knowledge beyond Server 2003). Also, it's not an immediate "if you don't get this your fired!" It's more of a "Hey, you've been promoted, we need you to now obtain XYZ to be within our requirements for this position, take your time, no rush."