Options

custom subnets, subnet 0, 1

I read this article

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/105/40.html

So for CCNA, you dont subtract 2 from # of subnets anymore?
How about for MCSA, specifically 291, you still have to subtract 2 right?
Jack of all trades, master of none

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Yes, and right, but you probably won't be forced (tricked) to pick between two answer that could be valid depending on the availability of subnet zero. Also, OSPF is a common routing protocol for Windows networks (if one would really use a Windows server as a router...) and has no problems with subnet zero or the all 1's broadcast.

Check out this article, in particular the bottom list:
    www.mcmcse.com/articles/subnetting.shtml
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No, for subnets you do NOT have to subtract 2 from subnets. I read a couple books for 70-291 and did CBT Nuggets and all sources said to not subtract 2 from subnets.

Subnets: 2n
    Hosts: 2n -2
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    icon_redface.gif Yes, my reference was to Windows 2000 not, 291, hence not 2003. It would make a lot of sense if they changed it to the realistic 'do not substract 2' method like Cisco has. And if CBT Nuggets explicitely says don't, than you can safely assume that's correct.
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    We posted at the same time. That "no" wasn't meant for you as my response wasn't directly towards you.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Thanks everyone!
    Jack of all trades, master of none