Net design Q

sunny_evandersunny_evander Member Posts: 126
hey folks

i have some design queries here... If a network is to be set up a company with remote offices all around the country and they are setting up the network for Airline reservation etc what is the best WAN service they can use for relaibility and security??

I wonder abt real life... what WAN do they use in real life? Is it frame-realy or something else?
:santa:

Comments

• pizzafartpizzafart Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think I'm pretty close to taking this exam... so, I'll take a stab at this.

It seems that the question is too vague. We'd have to know what exactly "setting up reservations" requires for bandwidth. For example, is graphocs information sent from a web application? Where to?

Also, who is using the reseveration software? If it's home users then already you need to take into account that their connections are going to start as either a broadband cable service, DSL, or dial-in. Any nationwide service is likely to require a variety of technologies.

Additionally, not all technologies are available in all places.

For example, for business to business connectivity, DSL can beat out Frame Relay if you can get it. Though, it's difficult to get guaranteed service with DSL like it is with Frame Relay.

Anyway, this question is too vauge. A national undertaking would also include utilizing networks that have various ownership, which includes even more variables.

That's my 2 cents.
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    alot of companies that have this same senerio that your talking about ( multiple sites needing to be secure over WAN) they have been going to mpls.. which is something like frame relay (but not really like it) best i can describe my understanding its like frame because of the tagging of packets but done on layer 3 .. sorry i can't tell you more b/c i don't know alot about it myself but i plan on learning
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • sunny_evandersunny_evander Member Posts: 126
    pizzafart wrote:
    I think I'm pretty close to taking this exam... so, I'll take a stab at this.

It seems that the question is too vague. We'd have to know what exactly "setting up reservations" requires for bandwidth. For example, is graphocs information sent from a web application? Where to?

The company has many branches... but all the branches has thin clients and booking is done using Web based applications. The main storage server is located in Head office. Although Bandwidth /delay etc can be assumed.
    Also, who is using the reseveration software?

Only the employees of the company. At this point the network does not considers customer booking from home.

If it's home users then already you need to take into account that their connections are going to start as either a broadband cable service, DSL, or dial-in. Any nationwide service is likely to require a variety of technologies.

Additionally, not all technologies are available in all places.

For example, for business to business connectivity, DSL can beat out Frame Relay if you can get it. Though, it's difficult to get guaranteed service with DSL like it is with Frame Relay.

Anyway, this question is too vauge. A national undertaking would also include utilizing networks that have various ownership, which includes even more variables.

That's my 2 cents.
    :santa:
  • david_rdavid_r Member Posts: 112
    sunny,
    Kinda sounds like a bank with a mainframe. Although banks may have more bandwidth requirements. My bank currently uses mostly frame-relay with ISDN backup at about 25% of the branches. I think some type of back up would be very important for your scenario. Your office would have to close without connectivity, unlike our branches that can still function on a limited basis, somehow. We're one month into a three month project to roll out MPLS to 500+ sites.
  • rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hello,

split the network into geographical segments;
    put the biggest sites in those segments as the backbone - connect to a metro ethernet/dsl whatever; and dont forget to put some T1 as RAS server to connect to.
    the small kiosk use a dial-up ras client either analog modem or a BRI.

cheers.
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.