info about CEH

adrenaline19adrenaline19 Member Posts: 251
I'm currently doing the OSCP. I want a job, but stupid HR requires CEH. I don't have the 2 years of experience to just take the test, so I need to take a class. If I take the class will it be a substitute for the 2 years or will I need something else to go with it?

Did anybody else take the class online? Should I try to find a location for it? the ec-council website sucks. It has a ton of redundant info, but little in the way of answering questions.

Do the online class suck as bad as their website?

Comments

• IronmanXIronmanX Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    "If I take the class will it be a substitute for the 2 years or will I need something else to go with it?"

Yes if you take the class then you don't have to have 2 years of experience.
    I believe you have to have your employer sign off on you taking the course as well if you don't have 2 years of experience.

For the course:
    "EC-Council fulfills its social responsibility by ensuring that only persons with a minimum of two years of security related experience are eligible for the course."

For the Exam
    "Have at least two years of information security related experience."
    ^Do you not have any experience? Info sec related experience is so vague. Nothing you could use to meet that requirement?

I did the class in person. I liked it. It will not really prepare you for the exam though.
  • User2097User2097 Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You could argue what the requirements of Info Sec are. For example from a CISSP standpoint, Info Sec involves physical security, network security, hardening programs and much more. You just have to take what you have done and meld it.
    Cert Goals: CISSP-ISSAP (May 2016) | CISM (2016) | GSEC (2016) | OSCP (2017)
    College: MBA Project Management (2012) | Bachelors IT Management (2010)
    Experience: Cyber Security, Information Assurance, and IT Management Officer
  • Sch1smSch1sm Member Posts: 64 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As far as I'm aware the 2 years thing is just a recommendation.
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Sch1sm wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware the 2 years thing is just a recommendation.
    Incorrect...2 years is required for self studying. This means just the courseware, CBT Nuggets, or any of the books out there. The experience has to be verified by your employer.

If you need or want to take the class, you don't have to have any amount of experience and it will waive the experience requirement. Official training is either the online learning or a live training in person by an approved training center.
  • adrenaline19adrenaline19 Member Posts: 251
    Upon further enumeration of the cert, I have found out that a 5 day class is equal to 2 years of work. How crazy is that?

WTF could an instructor teach me in five days that could be the same as two years on the job?

If I took that class for three weeks, could I hack better than anybody alive?

Side note, anybody take the class in person? Did the material they cover mimic the test questions at all? What kind of memorization should I do before I arrive for the class? I have learned tons and tons while doing the OSCP, but some technical names and background b.s. has probably been overlooked. What suggestions does everybody have to help me fill in the gaps before the class starts.

Thanks for keeping this forum helpful and informative!

If anybody has OSCP questions, I'll happily answer them.
  • Sch1smSch1sm Member Posts: 64 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Upon further enumeration of the cert, I have found out that a 5 day class is equal to 2 years of work. How crazy is that?

WTF could an instructor teach me in five days that could be the same as two years on the job?

If I took that class for three weeks, could I hack better than anybody alive?
    $$$$$$$$$$
  • JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    Sch1sm wrote: »
    $$$$$$$$$$

+1

There was a quote on this site, however it was deleted. It said "a customer with money is a customer with money."

However lets look at the business and its practice. What about their integrity? Are they truly selling a product that will enhance or advance someone's IT career or at the end of the day are they just another scammer laughing all of the way to the bank?
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • adrenaline19adrenaline19 Member Posts: 251
    I would have never even considered taking the cert if it wasn't for all the stupid HR requirements. Same goes for any CompTia cert, they are freaking awful!
  • JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    Honestly there needs to be freedom from censorship on this site to provide the correct checks-and-balances when it comes to these certs.

IMO, it is an industry that isn't regulated.

I honestly don't understand how someone or a company can setup a website and then say they have this cert or that cert that you pay alot of money for to and get nothing in return.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown