Options

Dipping my tow into the PMP Waters...

soooowutnowsoooowutnow Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
Any advice? How long will it take to study? I have a few years of project management under my belt but I did not do it the PMBOK way...wondering if that will hurt me.

I got Rita's book, Crowe's book, and the PMP practice makes perfect questions and answers. Any other study suggestions? My goal is to be done by the end of March if I put a couple of hours in every night. I think that might be wishful thinking though.

Edit: Wow I was tired when I posted that last night...spelled toe tow LOL
2018 Achievements:
Cloud Essentials SME
Project+
CRISC

2019 To conquer:
Maybe CGEIT? I don't know - help!

Comments

• Options
    User2097User2097 Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just pulled from another post, but didn't want to retype:

Do you need help on this? I just passed a week ago (second try). Here is what I recommend quickly.

1. Read PMP Head First (it's a super easy book to read. trust me, read it first)
    2. Order PMP big posters (it helps track of where you are)
    3. Lightly read RITA (I say this because her book is not that good. it helps, but it's better to read the PMBOK at this point)
    4. Read through PMBOK
    5. Sign up for PMP Prepcast (I hate paying for stuff, but this was truly worth it. get the engine and his videos. his questions have a same feel for the pmp exam, but harder. the format and syntax matched the exam, so you are less stressed. his answers tell where you are in the PMBOK and this is how you really start memorizing it.)

Do not:
    1. Make tons of flash cards
    2. Memorize all the ITTO's. I ignored this the first time and paid for it. Basically, you need to know where you are to answer the question, but vaguely know for familiarity.
    3. Ignore the PMBOK, but do not read it first. Once you read PMP head first or a little rita, the PMBOK is easy to remember
    4. Act like you know anything. Be humble, reset, and study

good luck!
    Cert Goals: CISSP-ISSAP (May 2016) | CISM (2016) | GSEC (2016) | OSCP (2017)
    College: MBA Project Management (2012) | Bachelors IT Management (2010)
    Experience: Cyber Security, Information Assurance, and IT Management Officer
  • Options
    User2097User2097 Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Meant to say for (3) below is DONOT IGNORE THE PMBOK
    Cert Goals: CISSP-ISSAP (May 2016) | CISM (2016) | GSEC (2016) | OSCP (2017)
    College: MBA Project Management (2012) | Bachelors IT Management (2010)
    Experience: Cyber Security, Information Assurance, and IT Management Officer
  • Options
    datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The PM Prepcast exam simulator helped me.

Pass your PMP Exam!
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe