Windows Small Business Server 2003

What is SBS? It sounds like it's Win2k3 Server with less features?

Features page of SBS shows that it's got "SharePoint Services" for managing Internet websites, so does that mean it doesnt have IIS?

How else does it differ from a standard version of Win2k3?
Jack of all trades, master of none

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    What is SBS? It sounds like it's Win2k3 Server with less features?
    It's more like the opposite, a Win2k3 Server with additional features. It's really Win2k3+Exchange Server+ISA server+ SQL server+other extras.

Feature chart latest version:
    www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/sbs/r2/features.mspx

Windows SharePoint services can be considered an intranet platform that allows users to use webservers as regular storage and share other information such as tasks and contacts.
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Webmaster wrote:
    It's more like the opposite, a Win2k3 Server with additional features. It's really Win2k3+Exchange Server+ISA server+ SQL server+other extras.

Any ideas why it's offered as a free option with servers?
    I am helping out on a SOHO network project, and they are purchasing a new server, they have the choice of Win2k3 Standard, and Win2k3 SBS at the same price...

weird?
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Yes, weird, at least to me at is. I have purchased for tons of Microsoft products and used to know all about the licensing and different options as well, but I don't know the 'current' licensing options. Normally SBS is more expensive than win2k3 server, and cheaper than buying win2k3 and exchange and the others separately.
    they have the choice of Win2k3 Standard, and Win2k3 SBS at the same price...
    If both contain the same amount of CALs (Client Access Licenses) SBS looks like an easy choice. Exchange and it's own required CALs is expensive.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Depending on the business, they might not want the canned "all-in-one" version if they don't need it all. Having your Domain Controller also be your Exchange Server and also be your firewall, DNS, DHCP, file server, etc. can be a major single point of failure and security risk. It is a nice solution cost-wise for a small business though (hey, maybe that's why they call it Small Business Server icon_lol.gif ).

I was never a big fan of SBS, but some folks really like it.
    All things are possible, only believe.