Best way to recover files

ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
I mistakenly formatted a 2TB USB drive that housed all my TV shows on it. I know there is software that can recover the files. Does anyone know of a good program (free if possible) that will recover the files, but keep the name of the file in tack? It does me know good to try and sort out hundreds of episodes if they have some stupid name like file0001.mp4.

Thanks.
2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!

Comments

• dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    you can try testdisk (photorec). it is a command line tool. there are a bunch of others out there but i can't think of them now but this one worked pretty good. recuva is another one. i haven't used these in years so can't be much more help with them
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Recuva if it's windows.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I tried testdisk, it would work, but wanted to give all my files some funky name. Does no good when you have hundreds of MP4 and MKV files. I just gave Recuva a try, sadly it would not work on a drive that lost its partition. icon_sad.gif
    2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
    Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
    CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!
  • ImYourOnlyDJImYourOnlyDJ Member Posts: 180
    I 2nd testdisk. If you play around with it there is an option to restore the partition. Photorec is another option but gives the weird file names as you mentioned. I would recommend doing a bare metal backup if you really need the data.

I did an automatic install of linux that somehow deleted my data partition, formatted a new linux partition, and installed linux. I recovered pretty much everything using the testdisk partition restore.
  • cowillcowill Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Subscribing to this thread. I'm having a problem recovering a 4TB drive where I accidentally converted my drive to GPT when I took it out of the external and added straight to the board. I lost the partition and now the drive is in a RAW state. I have about 2 1/2TB and about 10 years worth of MP4s, AVI, MP3s and other media files that I really don't want to lose. If somebody sees this and can point in me the right direction, thanks in advance.

@=ImYourOnlyDJ

YEa tried that, didn't work for me icon_sad.gif........

Subscribed.....
  • Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This happened to me when I was playing around with diskpart command line tool and I accident deleted a partition.

What I am about to recommend worked for me but it's a licence application, it recovers lost partitions, formatted files, etc. Here is a trial version if you want to check it out EaseUS Data Recovery