Darril Gibsons online content

Infosec85Infosec85 Member Posts: 192 ■■■□□□□□□□
Is this the best way to go in regards to passing the exam? I have already read his book and David Prowse'.

Anyone used his online test exams and do they help prepare you for passing the exam?

Many thanks

Comments

• elvinguitarelvinguitar Member Posts: 20 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think the online test exams on Darril's site is just a compilation of the practice exams on his books. I just passed the Security+ using only his book. My advice is to be sure to know the concept and be analytical.
  • Infosec85Infosec85 Member Posts: 192 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do you have any previous experience within I.T security? How long did you study for the exam?
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    It helped me IMMENSELY when I studied to do it the second time around.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • cdxcdx Member Posts: 186
    I used his online practice simulations for $30 it was well worth it and helped me a lot for the test.
    Bachelor of Science - Information Technology - Security
    Associate of Science - Computer Information Systems
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What they said! You can also find performance-based simulations on Youtube.
    Thanks, I have access to performance based questions on Darril's site and including the disc with David Prowse's book. Could do with some videos or content on analysing log files etc if anyone has any ideas?
  • scooterboyscooterboy Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am a database administrator and am being required to become certified in Security+, which makes no sense, but that isn't why I am writing. I have Test King, Transcender and Darril's tests. I failed the test today. There were terms I had never seen on any of the practice tests I have, so I have no idea how I am going to proceed. How does one prepare for a test when you do not have the material. I have read on the web that Comptia has changed the test since 2015. When I asked for my money back from test king, they said the same thing. Also, if you purchase test king, they don't refund your money if you buy the test at a discount. I have always seen it on sale.

I have many co-workers who also have taken this test. Everyone says the same thing. Good luck, as none of the test questions are helpful. One of them actually thought he may have been given the wrong test.

Darril's info did help me get more prepared, and I studied for months. It's pretty rotten that Comptia not only words the questions that they aren't straightforward, but throw in unfamiliar terms.

This has been my experience and that of several others I work with.
    scooterboy wrote: »
    I am a database administrator and am being required to become certified in Security+, which makes no sense, but that isn't why I am writing. I have Test King, Transcender and Darril's tests. I failed the test today. There were terms I had never seen on any of the practice tests I have, so I have no idea how I am going to proceed. How does one prepare for a test when you do not have the material. I have read on the web that Comptia has changed the test since 2015. When I asked for my money back from test king, they said the same thing. Also, if you purchase test king, they don't refund your money if you buy the test at a discount. I have always seen it on sale.

I have many co-workers who also have taken this test. Everyone says the same thing. Good luck, as none of the test questions are helpful. One of them actually thought he may have been given the wrong test.

Darril's info did help me get more prepared, and I studied for months. It's pretty rotten that Comptia not only words the questions that they aren't straightforward, but throw in unfamiliar terms.

Welcome to certification tests..as if you are not tense enough when you take a test. Just look up those questions online and learn from them, Though the next time, those terms/questions might not be on the test...
    scooterboy wrote: »

Do you mean indepth questions on Raid etc? Not asking you do break the NDA but what do you mean by terms? I'm aware the exam has an awfup lot of acronyms used within the questions.
  • Dave EDave E Banned Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took the test and failed today (got a 730 when I needed 750). I was naive for thinking that paying $140 for CertMaster and studying my rear-end off that that would be sufficient. So the test cost of $311 went right down the toilet bowl in a manner of speaking. Obviously people do pass the test. I congratulate them. The old principles of "doing your homework" and "buyer beware" applies here. I fault CompTIA for not being more upfront. I think they are deliberately not entirely forthcoming about their preparation material. It feels almost scam-ish. Kind of like, "Okay, let's not give them too much. We'll whet their appetite and get them in for a 2nd or subsequent go-round. It smells rotten. Many of the test questions were nothing like what is found in CertMaster. Sadly, the federal government has bought into this nonsense so CompTIA will riding high on the federal gray train for a while.
    Dave E wrote: »
    I took the test and failed today (got a 730 when I needed 750). I was naive for thinking that paying $140 for CertMaster and studying my rear-end off that that would be sufficient. So the test cost of $311 went right down the toilet bowl in a manner of speaking. Obviously people do pass the test. I congratulate them. The old principles of "doing your homework" and "buyer beware" applies here. I fault CompTIA for not being more upfront. I think they are deliberately not entirely forthcoming about their preparation material. It feels almost scam-ish. Kind of like, "Okay, let's not give them too much. We'll whet their appetite and get them in for a 2nd or subsequent go-round. It smells rotten. Many of the test questions were nothing like what is found in CertMaster. Sadly, the federal government has bought into this nonsense so CompTIA will riding high on the federal gray train for a while.

I'm sorry to hear that you failed, you're very close though.Did you use any of Gibsons content? And did you purchase the package with a free retake?

From reading up on things it seems Comptia have changed their questions, made them longer and more complex. I've also read that this is due to a very high pass percentage last year. The real issue is these clowns using ****, from what I've read this is the reason they have changed the exam and questions.

Keep your head up pal, that's a good score, you'll get it next time! Most people don't pass the first time.
    I didn't pass the first time, with Gibson's book and online resources, I nailed it.
  • GLaDOSGLaDOS Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Glad I found your thread! I was about to start one about this very topic! Was just curious, I see on Darril Gibson's site they he offers multiple packages with course content including practice tests, flashcards, audio files, etc. Was just wondering which package others have gone with and how helpful they found them? I'm taking Security+ 401 to recertify and already got the kindle version of his 401 book. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thank you!!
    "Tahiti is not in Europe. I'm going to be sick."
  • dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i purchased his 30 day package with the bonus stuff. i didn't use the flash cards or audio files but did the practice tests and sims. i probably could have got by without it but i passed so i am happy. i also purchased his book and read it front to back. i think that was the most help but i think my experience and education was the most helpful. i took the test at the beginning of the book before reading it and got an 86% on it then a 90% after i read the book. i passed the test with an 805