Job title suggestion for many roles

ck86ck86 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm looking for some input on a job title for my current position.

Four years ago I worked doing IT consulting with a startup. We moved into more of a MSP model over time which I played an integral role in starting. I did all of the product research, demoing, testing and implementation. Eventually I left that position and landed a similar gig at a different MSP.

Again, I have a small team. I'm the most technical of the group but still wouldn't put myself anywhere above a senior sysadmin level with intermediate networking experience but with added experience in the medical/legal arena. My current employer is looking to me to bring their somewhat stagnant MSP to a higher level. Job responsibilities include overseeing the help desk, project management, "sales engineer" type of role, client relations/management, solution development/implementation, creating/enforcing processes and procedures, and pretty much handling all ticket escalations beyond tier1/2 helpdesk.

The owners are looking at me for which title to give. They came up with "IT Manager" but I've just gone with "Technical Lead" for now.

Thoughts?

Comments

• markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    With sales and client relations/management, what about "IT Director"? Or is that your bosses title? "VP IT Operations"? Since they're flexible on you creating your own title I'd push it to the limit as much as I can just because it'll help your resume more.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd definitely take their "IT Manager" over "Technical Lead". Without know the exact size of the company, I would think you need to see what other departments in your company use and go off that. If each department has a director, go with that, if not go with whatever is the highest. There should be some kind of title formality across the departments in a company.
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The Supreme IT Leader icon_lol.gif
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    markulous wrote: »
    With sales and client relations/management, what about "IT Director"? Or is that your bosses title? "VP IT Operations"? Since they're flexible on you creating your own title I'd push it to the limit as much as I can just because it'll help your resume more.

I agree with this. I'd be looking towards director or something along those lines. Lot's of shoes you will be filling.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • soccarplayer29soccarplayer29 Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    IT Operations Manager?
    Certs: CISSP, CISA, PMP
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I wouldn't go with "IT" in the title if you are working MSP rather than in house IT.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.