Switching Universities

dcarey4698dcarey4698 Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello all,

I am currently enrolled at my local university in an on-campus BS in Information & Computer Technology program. I'm about 60% through the degree. But, I have to move soon because my fiance is taking a job out of the area. My university does not offer an online program for this degree so I am looking for a 100% online Bachelor's degree program to transfer into. I have about 6 months of IT experience working a help desk internship and no certs (yet). I am trying not to have to start my degree all over again from scratch, because I have taken a pretty good amount of technology courses. I have spoken to a handful of online schools so far and they will let me transfer hardly any courses. Any advice? Thanks!

Comments

• TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    How far is your fiance moving? Out of state or 2-3 hours away. Really if you are that close to finishing your degree I'd stay and just commute, unless there are other reasons that would make the commute impossible. You will lose credits by moving to another school for sure.
  • dcarey4698dcarey4698 Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It will be out of state and impossible to commute. I'd definitely stay and commute if I were even relatively close. I've shopped around and I really have only one candidate that I would like to transfer to because I would be done about a semester after I'm projected to be done at my local university. But I'd like to have some backups in case I don't get into this univeristy.
  • $bvb379$bvb379 Member Posts: 155
    If you go to an accredited brick and mortar university most/all should transfer to another accredited brick and mortar university. However, since you are moving out of state you will probably be subject to out of state tuition fees until you have established residency for a year.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you're dead set on a B&M school but online there are a ton of them now. It seems like every big school around me is now pushing a lot of their classes online. As another reply mentioned, it might be expensive. You might be able to find another school in your state where you can take the classes online for the in-state rate. If you're looking for accredited and all online (and cheap!) check out wgu.edu.
    I'm not dead set on a B&M school at all! I actually need something that's 100% online. But, unfortunately, I don't have 3 years of work experience that WGU requires for admission, or an associate's degree.
  • joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Is your current university/program accredited? That will have a huge influence on what, if anything, you can transfer to another school, B&M or not.
    Yeah my current university is accredited. It's actually a really good program. I am just unable to live in the area.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dcarey4698 wrote: »
    I'm not dead set on a B&M school at all! I actually need something that's 100% online. But, unfortunately, I don't have 3 years of work experience that WGU requires for admission, or an associate's degree.

Have you talked to them? With a few years of college, some experience, maybe you just need a cert? You'd have to do it anyway as part of the program, something easier like the A+ would probably get you in.
  • RollTideNDRollTideND Member Posts: 9 ■■□□□□□□□□
    At most regionally-accredited b/m and online universities, undergraduates are usually required to do 30 semester/quarter/etc. hours with that institution in order to apply to graduate. This could be a consideration for you as well.
    Earned: BS Mgmt/CIS (Park University), CISSP, GCIH, CEH, Security+, Network+, A+, Project+, CSIS, CIOS, MTA 98-365
    Current: WGU MSCIA - Risk Management, Cyberwarfare, and Cyber Law
    Next Up: WGU MSCIA - Other Courses TBD, CHFI, CCNA R&S
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    Have you talked to them? With a few years of college, some experience, maybe you just need a cert? You'd have to do it anyway as part of the program, something easier like the A+ would probably get you in.

No, I haven't talked to them. But maybe I should! I didn't know that those requirements weren't that adamant.
    Of course, WGU isn't accepting North Carolina residents pending some evaluation by the North Carolina System. So that's out of the question for me. I'm currently in contact with CSU Global, Capella, and Northeastern University
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You might be able to do a National Student Exchange(NSE) if your university participates. Kind of like a study abroad, but within the United States. My girlfriend moved and wanted me to come with. I only had three semesters left and I didn't want to transfer and lose credits. With the NSE I was able to take two semesters at a university where my girlfriend lived. I had to go back for a summer session to finish off my last three classes, but it was a lot better than transferring and losing credits in the process.

I had to do a lot of leg work to get syllabuses(syllabi?) to submit petitions to get my home university to approve them as equivalent. I also had to submit petitions to take some classes at the exchange university. Kind of a hassle, but to me it was worth the effort.

I don't know if it's a viable option for you, but it's definitely something I would recommend looking into. Oh yeah, I was able to pay in-stare tuition at the exchange university.
  • $bvb379$bvb379 Member Posts: 155
    While doing my undergrad, if I can remember correctly, almost all, if not all classes were available online. Now for the master's program I am looking at, that is not the case.
    thomas_ wrote: »
    You might be able to do a National Student Exchange(NSE) if your university participates. Kind of like a study abroad, but within the United States. My girlfriend moved and wanted me to come with. I only had three semesters left and I didn't want to transfer and lose credits. With the NSE I was able to take two semesters at a university where my girlfriend lived. I had to go back for a summer session to finish off my last three classes, but it was a lot better than transferring and losing credits in the process.

I had to do a lot of leg work to get syllabuses(syllabi?) to submit petitions to get my home university to approve them as equivalent. I also had to submit petitions to take some classes at the exchange university. Kind of a hassle, but to me it was worth the effort.

I don't know if it's a viable option for you, but it's definitely something I would recommend looking into. Oh yeah, I was able to pay in-stare tuition at the exchange university.

Nice suggestion Thomas! I just checked and my university is only offering NSE for a year and I have more than that to go. Oh well, it looks like I'll just take the hit and lose credits. I'll be done eventually though!
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sometimes you can do it for three semesters: fall, spring, and summer. The summer is not always guaranteed though and changes from university to university.
    thomas_ wrote: »
    Sometimes you can do it for three semesters: fall, spring, and summer. The summer is not always guaranteed though and changes from university to university.

I see. Well, thanks for the info! I will definitely Look into it!