Need a pep talk and maybe some advice!

My contract at my previous job ended last week due to there not being enough work to go around. I wasn't too bummed, as I was looking for better opportunities with better pay. Three days later I landed another role supporting standardized testing software. Now, I did not particularly want to take this role- the commute is far (45+ minutes) and I am hesitant to do software support. However, it is only 3 months and they are paying me $30/hr. Which is...ridiculous. But they needed to quickly onboard over 40 techs and I think were a bit desperate.

And...I hate it. We were told we were hired on as Level 2 techs. I was told we would get some light SQL experience, AD, and do some network troubleshooting. But the call center is a total cluster****. I do not fault them- their call volume is SIGNIFICANTLY hire than they anticipated, but they are not ready to onboard Level 2 people. We are doing very basic customer service work. VERY basic. I am concerned my skillset is going to stall. I am new enough to IT where I don't feel I can have a 3 month gap in my resume where I am doing customer service work (I have PLENTY on there already) I understand that IT is largely customer service, but I am not doing any tech work. Period. I am looking for other opportunities in the mean time. But- I leave work miserable every day.

Would you guys stick it out? The pay is....unbelievable. It would go along way for me financially. But at what cost to my sanity/career?

I have been communicating with my recruiters and they know my concerns (and everyone elses concerns.) They understand we are working way below our skill level but were hopeful things would get better. I trust them in that regard- they have a good reputation, are a small firm, and have been very attentive.

What can I do to make this experience better?

A+ certified
Bachelors of Science in Social Work, Augsburg College
Working on: Network+

Comments

• SvobodaSvoboda Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Suck it up. Honestly, it's just 3 months.

No hiring manager is going to hold that position against you, especially since you were lied to. If they do, you don't want to work for that company anyway. You said the pay is great so take the 3 months to study, pay for and pass another certification test. Outside of IT, take the money to pay off a bill and find satisfaction elsewhere.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Yes, suck it up and it will help with patience to deal with cluster****s.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Russ5813Russ5813 Member Posts: 123 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I like Svoboda's advice. If the pay is good, you can hold out for 3 months. In the meantime, try to knock out that Net+ cert.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I'm all for "life is short and do what makes you happy" but 3 months is definitely a small price to pay. It's not like you'll be stuck here for years. As others said there's plenty you can do on your own time to keep skills sharp or even acquire new skills. Suck it up, make some good money, and move on when time is right.
  • dancreaneydancreaney Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Activate ear firewalls for 3 months. Think of it as practice, there will be other trying times in your IT career - it's part of the landscape and beyond your control so don't take responsibily for feeling bad about it. Take the money and run, maybe spend it on a home lab to learn about the technology you find interesting.

Good customer service and people skills are a sought after commodity in IT, if you have those and tech chops you'll make yourself very valuable. If you worry about being pigeon holed in a helpdesk role, that's understandable - best advice is to keep learning, pay your dues and be as involved as you can in the environment your find yourself in.
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Keep an eye on the job market daily and keep applying. If something better comes along, then jump otherwise enjoy the money even though it is a less than enjoyable work experience.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I've been in two jobs I hate for a total of 24 months - 3 months isn't bad at all! My advice is this: stick out the 3 months and enjoy the 3 months. Don't, under any circumstances stay there for longer than you feel is enough. What I mean by that, is that you shouldn't hang in there like i've done for 24 months because other opportunities don't pop up in other areas. For example, i've been a security analyst / senior security analyst and guess what alternative roles appear??....more security analyst roles....ugh!! No thanks! But that's because i've outstayed my welcome.

TLDR: Do 3 months. Enjoy the money and use these 3 months to get a cert or look for other jobs that you do like.
  • Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I totally get it. I was a SysAdmin but now I'm working HelpDesk for a 1 year contract. The work is painfully easy BUT I'm making 3x my former salary- which is why I left to do it in the first place. I'm using my spare time to study and get some certs knocked out before I go home for good. Be sure to make the best of your three months, study, learn and look for other opportunities.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd be out of there as soon as I found something that more fit my career goals. Sounds like a pretty big cluster you know what.

Life is short and you spend too much of it at work to settle for something you hate. Unless of course you just really need the money. Survival comes first.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Three months, try to get yourself mentally in a holiday mode (i.e. DO NOT take the job seriously) Do a good job, help them poor customers but don't stress yourself out. Enjoy the ride.

Network, and meet new people, study in your spare time (if you have any). Make the best out of a bad situation.

And No, 3 months in your CV is nothing. You're not losing anything.

Keep applying for jobs...that shouldn't stop anyway, but have fun doing it!!
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• No_NerdNo_Nerd Banned Posts: 168
    Just suck it up Unless you fit into both of the following

1.You don't need the money i.e. you or your significant other is rocking a silver or black AMX

2. You are currently going to school

If you hit 1 and 2 then by all means just leave. If not I would say just stay it is only 3 months.

Like someone else said ..... Just think of this as an exercise in patience.
  • Phileeeeeeep651Phileeeeeeep651 Member Posts: 179 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I say stick it out. I know where you're coming from as I am kind of in the same boat. I had a mentor in the military tell me, if you tell yourself you hate something long enough, eventually you will. Try to take as much as you can away from the position, experience is experience. Customer service skills and just knowing how to talk to people will get you a lot further in IT than just having technical skills.

As far as your skillset stalling, that's completely up to you. Just because your job isn't using the technologies in your tool bag doesn't mean you can't refine those at home.
    Working on: CCNP Switch
  • alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I didn't read any of the other comments. For 30 bucks an hour STFU and get to answering them phones is all I got to say. I don't mean that in a demeaning sort of way but put some dough in your coffers and take a windfall. As you said you have already had a ton of call center experience and maybe, just maybe if you rise above the suck you will shine like the star we all know you are.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • techtiatechtia Member Posts: 144
    You will be fine.

On the other hand, look at me, I make 0 dollars an hour at the moment.
  • bloodshotbettybloodshotbetty Member Posts: 215
    Thanks guys- I am going to stick it out as long as possible! I have been spamming my application out and have a lot of meetings with recruiters, so hopefully something will come of it. The money isn't a HUGE thing (I mean- money is always great.) but our bills are covered and plus some. I am not currently paying rent (yay for living with the parents temporarily!) so I have some flexibility with my pay grade.

A+ certified
    Bachelors of Science in Social Work, Augsburg College
    Working on: Network+
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    But- I leave work miserable every day.

What can I do to make this experience better?

Remind yourself that this is temporary, make the most of the experience, enjoy the influx of cash, and search for something better daily.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It's only 3 months so I would stick it out and try to grab a certification if possible if time allows. ;)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Definitely miserable! I would stay and enjoy the time there as best I could. You never know who you will network with while there and if it turns out to be no one, you have only invested 1/4 of the year and your will soon be free to fly on.

The pay is likely due to the fact your employer already knows turnover is high and the work is unexciting or in this case the time requirement is short and they need people to stay on the whole duration. Good pay usually means tedious work. In three months, come back and let us know how you survived ;)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?