Need Advice on Preping for 291

Gaztop1Gaztop1 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys , need some advice on my 291 exam what area's do you recommending spending serious attention on ? i know whole exam is important but would like to find area's of concern... hoping to get this exam done and work on my 70-284 exam so i can get my MCSA

thanks

Gazza

Comments

• Gaztop1Gaztop1 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Also wanted to know only thought about this now ... simulations for the 291 exam any advice? i dont actually have a test lab at home to practice on so i am a bit curious any where to find documents on how to set up ? just gives me a little confidence to know i know something when i actually do the sims
  • lozstlouislozstlouis Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am taking this test on Thursday 3pm (GMT). Others say it is much like 290.

Have you tried using some of the virtual PC software out there?
  • jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    DNS
    DNS
    DNS
    DNS
    DHCP
    RRAS
    Basic Subnetting
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
    I have both Vmware and Virtual PC only problem is i dont have the actual Windows Server 2003 Software.

cool so basically everything hehehe to learn with regrads to DNS RRAS Subnetting ok.

i am organising Windows Server 2003 ( just a note ) and would also like to know simulation wise ( cause i know in my 290 exam i got simulations ) what should i try and practice setting up? most common simulations i would possibly get so i can atleast be prepared.

i appreciate the replies! also wanna hear how the exam went once u done it.
  • jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    I did not sit this exam yet. I had to take time off because it is football season. I am a High School Football Official.
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    hey!

I'm writing my 291 on Thursday, and I have found from my practice questions that they seem to ask alot about SUS, GPO, and different policies.

I'm still not very comfortable with those topics myself, but besides those, I think DNS, DHCP, and TCP/IP are definitely big big topics.

Good luck to the both of us!
    Jack of all trades, master of none
    Thanks guys, i appreciate all the help, i am writing my 291 exam next week friday 6 OCT at 11:45am... so i am just trying to get what the exam is all about ... need to go over some notes i had made during my 291 course and practice exams.

i think i am more worried about the Simulations cause i am sure they take up a good part of your marks. when i did my 290 exam last friday i had 4 simulations and i honestly wasnt ready for those but i think i did well got a 775 so if i can pass that i am sure i can pass this. then next on my list is 284 and have my MCSA!!!

good luck to you guys aswell when you start doing the exams always nice to know someone is supporting u!
    Wanted to ask again being so dilly about this if anyone knows ... how Many Simulations in the exam and any idea on what ?
    Gaztop1 wrote:
    Wanted to ask again being so dilly about this if anyone knows ... how Many Simulations in the exam and any idea on what ?

There could virtually any number of sims..but I think most people said between 3-6? The simulations could tests any of the topics from the objectives. No one should say what their sims was about in accordance to non-disclosure.

Good luck!
  • jkstechjkstech Member Posts: 330
    basically everything on the microsoft website list, detailing the topics covered in the exam, are actually covered in the exam, and the sims can be on any one of these topics, it's a pretty good test, lots of info, just go over the exam objectives and see if you know them, also take the practice test here to get an idea and any other practice test you can get your hands on
    get back to studying!!!
  • n0fxn0fx Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've read on another post that some components in the 70-291 are from the 70-290 exam. Does anyone specific what type of stuff is from the 70-290 (topic wise)?
    took 291 today, and it really depends on what you get.
    I think I got the "harder" questions from the pool, which didnt overlap 290.

Good luck!
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    jescab wrote:
    DNS
    DNS
    DNS
    DNS
    DHCP
    RRAS
    Basic Subnetting

Heh, I think that's almost enough DNS'es, but not nearly enough RRAS'es. The test is very, very heavy on DNS concepts, RRAS, and security-related items. The DHCP and subnetting almost feel like they're assumed, in asking about DNS. (But beware, there are questions exclusively dedicated to IP addressing and the DHCP server.)

Personally, I didn't see much overlap between this and 70-290. I felt as though the 70-290 was on everything Windows Server 2003 does, almost stand-alone. In comparison, this is a network admin test. 70-291 really lays the foundation for "real Windows networking", not just server administration. The things the box does should be second-nature, because you'll need those skills to take on this test.
    took 291 today, and it really depends on what you get.
    I think I got the "harder" questions from the pool, which didnt overlap 290.
    I think I've been out of the loop, bighornsheep. How'd you do?

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.