Test taking anxiety

Kakashi316Kakashi316 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I know this is a weird place to ask this, but I figure the people reading would understand. I have to take two certifications for a job that I just got that they want me to pass, gsec sec401 and gmon sec511. The company will be providing the training. I am completely terrified about taking these tests because I don't want to screw these up. I also know that being nervous won't help matters. Anyone have any advice?

Comments

• techtiatechtia Member Posts: 144
    I have never taken any certifications in my life and just passed the A+. Not a huge accomplishment in many eyes but to me, quite special. I wasn't nervous because I knew I could retake but my mindset was pass once, don't pay extra. For the second part exam (802), I was actually a bit nervous from reading posts saying how hard it was and seeing so many threads about failing.

I combated that by having the right mindset, I told myself to be positive, calm, and be self assured.

I found that if I visualize positive results, have confidence, tame the anxiousness, and be calm helped me the most. You are nervous when you're not well prepared, if you are well prepared, there is nothing to be nervous about. Preparation = confidence, confidence = results.
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Counter the thoughts of failing with thoughts of passing. You have to go in with the mentality that you will pass. Keep telling yourself you will pass and be confident, this will relax you a bit and allow you to focus more with less stress.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Take a deep breath, just study and practice, practice, practice. I have dyslexia so some of these cert tests are awful for me, except I love simulations and would rather have that on every exam. Don't let your fear overtake you!
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • SvobodaSvoboda Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Take a deep breath, just study and practice, practice, practice. I have dyslexia so some of these cert tests are awful for me, except I love simulations and would rather have that on every exam. Don't let your fear overtake you!

I am the exact same way. I'd rather have an exam full of sims over multiple choice as I mix up terms very easily.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    @KAakashi316,

First thing, is this 'test anxiety' a new thing for you or something you have struggled with through school too? Second, Plan to Pass.

I know easier said than done, but stick with facts and focus on things under your control, not the things outside of your control. Are you taking exams on topics you have experience working with? If you are, then review as needed and go take the exam...and pass. Study the second, and take the exam and pass.

So, the question I have for you, what timeline is your employer requiring you to maintain for passing these two exams? What happens if you pass one but fail one? What happens if you fail both? One never wants to plan to fail, but knowing the consequences of failing in this case will help clear up any possible misunderstanding and will put your nerves at ease. If the worst is that you are required to pay for the retake...big deal. Expensive, but not horrible.

Will your employer be providing any texts or study materials for you to prepare for the exams? If they are, use them or specific what will be helpful for you. If they are not, you are investing in yourself, pickup the recommended materials and get prepared.

My guess is you will do fine, but you'll be more relaxed knowing what your options are beforehand.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Kakashi316 wrote: »
    Anyone have any advice?

The nice thing about the SANS test is the practice tests are just like the real Exam (no not the same exact questions), if you can do well on the practice tests, then you should do fine on the exam. That said, you only get two practice tests, they are not to be wasted. Do not attempt one until you studied, indexed the books (open book test) and believe your ready to take the exam. have a pen and paper ready, to write down topics your weak on (your given the correct answer if you get it wrong during the practice test), also pay attention to questions not in your index, you may have to improve your index before your next attempt. Minimum passing score for the GSEC is 74%, if you can score 80% or better on practice exam, you should be ready for the real exam.

Five hours sounds like a long time for an exam, but time flies by when you in the zone taking the test. Use proper time management, you should be near question 90 at the 2 hour 30 minute mark. Personally I finished the test in 4 hours and 30 odd minutes, I pretty much looked up every answer for the last 20 questions when I saw I have plenty of time remaining.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • No_NerdNo_Nerd Banned Posts: 168
    Just my .02 I have extremely bad test anxiety which causes PSTD to kick in a bit... combined with dyslexia. CISSP last Friday was extremely intense. I dealt with it some by just closing my eyes and visualizing a passing score. If my hands started to shake a bit or anything I would take a break and go run cold water over my hands. I would tell myself that the worst thing that can happen is you fail , in which case you retake the exam. The best case is you pass and can relax for a week. Also before and after any exam I always do something that I know I am good at. For example, I might go to the gym or for a run. Or I might go check on the family business to see how things are going and looking for ways to improve sales or customer experience. In short do something that makes you happy.