WGU BA IT Administrator

PSG_WarnerPSG_Warner Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello!

I am thinking about attending WGU (In TN, don't know if that matters), but I have many questions. So, I'm just going to shoot some off, if you can answer them great, if you can give experience, great. Just anything to get a more generalized understanding to my questions. Btw, I did have a WGU speaker come talk to my former college trade school.

1). How hard is it to learn through online?
2). Do they monitor every test? (Mainly wondering about your general Ed.)
3). If I set aside 3 hours a day for 5 days a week, would that be enough to get my class work done? I want to have my weekends off.
4). So, the speaker said that each semester is 6 months, with about a week or so in between. How does 'absent days' work and what if you take a week vacation or so? Do you pause your current learning, do you fall behind? do they have things set up for those types of things?
5). How hard is it to ask questions? I'm question asker.
6). What's all in the 'goodie' box they send you when you start? I know of a webcam.
7). What was your experience with WGU?

Thank you for any questions that you answer. Thank you so much!!!

Comments

• TybTyb Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I receives by BS and MS from WGU and enjoyed the programs. As for you questions:

1) It depends on the person, it isn't for everyone.
    2) All test are proctored or at a testing center.
    3) I did 4 days a week, 4-6 hours a day.
    4) You have a set amount of CU's a semester, as long as that minimum is met you are good. The learning is self paced, so there is no falling behind.
    5) Each class has a course mentor, while I did not ask many questions I had no problems getting answers when I did.
    6) Web Cam and some other stuff, I remember a WGU cup.
    7) As I said, I personally enjoyed it and had a good experience.

Hope that helps some and good luck.
    WGU BS:IT Security (March 2015)
    WGU MS:ISA (February 2016 )
  • PSG_WarnerPSG_Warner Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you!
    It does help. I just think it's a little weird that they watch over your general Ed. test. Maybe I have it a little confused. I'm thinking after (say chapter test) every chapter test, you take a 10 question test and they watch you. Or are we talking like Finals/big test?

Thank you!
  • GhostintheShellGhostintheShell Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Only the final is proctored whether it be Gen Ed or Certification. Because WGU is online, you have to think like an online student. It's a different bird from brick and mortar. You set your own pace and study as much, or as little as you want. many of us bust our tails to "get ahead" if we know we'll be away for a week, business trip, family vacation, etc. the best advice I can give you is that you are not bound to a timeline set by a professor. You work as fast, or as slow, depending on how you absorb the info.
    Thank you!
    It's sad but I feel like I'm going to have a harder time with the General Ed classes then most of the IT classes. I just graduated from a trade school with A, Net, and Security+. I'm working on my Project+ at the moment.
  • GhostintheShellGhostintheShell Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The GenEd classes are the toughest for me also, but you get TONS of support from the course mentors (virtual professors). They offer tons of one on one time with you, they have webinars and cohorts that will address common hurdles for many students, and will take whatever time you need to get through the course and get you to a good understanding. When I started I was freaked out by the Gen Ed formats, but have calmed down a bit. I still have 2 Gen Ed classes to finish, but I assure you you can do it.
  • PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I received my Bachelor's in Network Administration from WGU, and I'm finishing my Master's in Information Security and Assurance. There are three types of "Exams":

-You write a report in Word or similar program and submit it to Taskstream. Evaluators read them and grade based on a rubric (which you can download a copy), and you get a report on what needs to be improved, or a passing grade.

-You take an online test which is proctored, either by using a webcam that they mail to you, and you take from the privacy of your own home. The room must be closed, silent, and the webcam pointing to your face, the room, and the computer screen. You know instantly after taking the test if you've passed or not.

-You take an official certification exam, depending on your degree plan. For example, if you are learning computer repair, then you would have to get A+ Certified. The first two vouchers (per exam code) are included in your tuition. You have to pay out of pocket for the next two attempts.

You have a Student Mentor assigned to you throughout the entire program that you speak with once per week at the beginning, then less frequently if you are doing fine on your own. There is also a Course Mentor assigned to each "class" that you can request assistance if you're having difficulties. It is recommended that you try to pass the objective on your own the first attempt, and then work with the Course Mentor if you do not pass that or further attempts.

I was skeptical with WGU's online-based curriculum, but it's the best choice I ever made. I was able to do everything at my own pace, and the Mentors that were assigned to me were great. After I finish this MSISA degree, I plan on re-enrolling for the MBA in IT Management from them. Hope this helps.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
    Was it $6k a year for you, roughly? I think a semester is $2,850? is there any 'hidden' cost that come later? What if you fail, do you have to pay back..etc?
  • ImThe0neImThe0ne Member Posts: 143
    I think after all is said and done each semester ends up being $3035.00 after your "resource" fee. This is for the BS: Network Admin track.
    If you can get into the right train of thought, really push yourself and not fall apart, you are good to go. You have student mentors that walk through everything with you, approve your final exams, etc. You typically would have weekly status calls with them, my mentor had stopped weekly calls after my first month of classes, because I had already completed 15CUs in the first month, so he said he wasn't going to get in the way that if I need anything to just let him know. It worked out best for me this way.

If you are committed, you can make some serious progress, very quickly. I shot myself in the foot last semester or I would have been able to finish 60+CU. I completed 38CU and only worked on classes from August 1st- November 11th and ended up taking December and January off, it was mix of getting burnt out and busy with work. I started my 2nd term in Feb 1st and have completed 9CU so far and have 5 full months to go.

It isn't for everybody, I was a self-learner when it came to certifications before this as well, so I kind of already had the solo mentality. It's good if this is the type of person you are.

Let us know if you have any other questions.
    Yes, it is $2850 for each 6-month term for Bachelor's, and $3035 for Master's. There are no "hidden" fees, except if you have to take a certification test a third or fourth time, you have to pay for the voucher with a credit/debit card or checking account. You do get the educational discount, which can be up to 50% off depending on the certification vendor. If you fail a certification attempt a fourth time, that's pretty much it... you don't get additional chances. The Mentors are actually "graded" on their "students'" abilities to pass the assessments. The only caveat with the entire program is that for each 6-month term, you HAVE to pass at least 3 CU's. Most "classes" are 2 or 3 CU's each, but some are more. I had a former student get her BS in Software Development, and she had the toughest time with the Java programming certifications. She had to move them to different terms to avoid failing out of the program.

Point being, work closely with your Mentors, and you'll do fine. WGU does have community forums that you can choose to participate, where you can talk to other students.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    The only thing I have left to ask is;
    What if you get into WGU and you just don't think it's for you. You complete a semester or semester and a half, etc. Do you have to pay money back? FASFA will help me alot on going there, but I just want to make sure I dont find out its for me and have to pay money back.
    Example: at my old Trade School, we were on a tri-mester system. So every 3 months was our semester. If you quit mid way of a trimester you'd have to pay the rest of the money back to the school, and FASFA wouldn't cover it, even though if you continued and completed it FASFA would pay for all of it.
    I couldn't say specifically based on their policies, but I would imagine that you would get a partial refund for the time you haven't completed. Your tuition is based on time (6 month terms) not individual classes, so if you quit 3 months into it, I believe you would get half back. You would definitely have to speak with an enrollment counselor prior to joining to get the specifics.
    Okay,
    thank you for all the help, and everyone else. I just wanna make sure I know all I need to know before I make a big commitment. I don't want to be trapped and unhappy in something and can't get out because of money or something of sort.

Thank you again!
  • bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    I had to pay a 140 dollar service fee each term, for e-books and other various things.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Make sure you get a referral so you don't have to pay the application fee up front.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/55634-wgu-refer-friend-thread-those-seeking-referral.html
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???