What are next steps after Security+ ?

geforce1010geforce1010 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everybody,
There many people who love to step into security fields but really don't know where to start and what are next steps! Could you please let us know what the next course that a person should learn after Security+ is?

If I want to be more clear I would say that there are many courses to learn about Hacking & Security:
CEH, CHFI, OSCP, GPEN, Cisco security courses like CCNA & CCNP security, OSWE, PWK, ENSA, ECSA, CISSP and on and on...
And also a bunch of scripting languages like Python, C, C++, Shell, Java...

What is the order of the courses that I mentioned? What is the first step, second...
And which languages need for each course?

Thank you in advance...
I won't post a note to say "thank you" for you responde in order to prevent forums become busy. So "THANK YOU' in Advance :)

Comments

• scottishkiwiscottishkiwi Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This has been queried and answered a few times in the forum.

Take a read of this thread: Security certification - where to start?
    2016 : CompTIA Network+ (Jan) [X], CompTIA Storage+ (Jan) [X], CompTIA Security+ (Feb) [X], Cisco ICND1 (Feb) [X], MS 70-410 (Mar) [X], Cisco ICND2 (Mar) [X], Juniper JNCIA-Junos (Apr) [ ], Amazon AWS CSA (Apr) [ ], VMWare VCP-DCV (May) [X], MS 70-409 (May) [X], MS 70-411+412 (May) [ ]
    2015 : ITIL Foundations (Dec) [X], PRINCE2 Foundation (Dec) [X], CompTIA A+ (Dec) [X]
  • geforce1010geforce1010 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I read that topic, but the answers are not really organised
    1- Which one comes after security+? CEH, OSCP or PWK?
    2- What scripting language is in first priority?
    3- Do I need to study CCNA & CCNP security?
    thx.
    I won't post a note to say "thank you" for you responde in order to prevent forums become busy. So "THANK YOU' in Advance :)
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There are different paths in security just like in life. You need to pick your path and learn the things and take the cerifications that are more valuable for you. Theres no one path that will allow you to do everything in your day to day job. Jobs and tasks are devided. A network security guy will not do the same job as an application security guy, a penetration security guy will not do the same as the other two. Depends on the job and what you want to do. People start with one thing and then slowly learn and transition into other jobs. Do you know what you want to do as a job or as a career?
    I want to go through penetration testing but as I said I do not know what courses I should pass one after the other, it is important to me to have a clear view through the way to achieve the final goal.
    The time is not important to me, I just want to become dominant in pentesting.

Could you tell me what courses and what programming/scripting languages I should learn about?
    I know MCSA, CCNA R&S.
    Thx.
    Learn linux, start playing with Kali linux, learn bash, learn the linux commands, learn the tools, learn python, perl, take CEH, take oscp, get somewhat familiar with sql, do some small steps in between and learn some general stuff too.
  • RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A new book was released check it out here: breaking into information security. Could be of interest to you.
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    Learn linux, start playing with Kali linux, learn bash, learn the linux commands, learn the tools, learn python, perl, take CEH, take oscp, get somewhat familiar with sql, do some small steps in between and learn some general stuff too.

Thank you so much!
    So I don't need to study Cisco security courses, do I?
    Remedymp wrote:
    A new book was released check it out here: breaking into information security. Could be of interest to you.

Thanks a lot
    So I don't need to study Cisco security courses, do I?

As a penetration tester is good to be well rounded and have knowledge of how the systems work. A good pen tester would have knowledge of networking, Operating systems and vendor specific solutions. As a pen tester you are trying to discover and exploit vulnerabilities. Knowing that some systems or devices are not patched will only help you ifyou are somewhat familiar with the systems. It's not easy to be a pen tester, requires a lot of work and a lot of time and a lot of studying and a lot of passion.