Network Engineer Resume Question

kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
Just a general question. So far I am very happy with my resume and used the fantastic resource post by srabiee and am following the Ptilsen resume model.

I know to tailor my resume per job I am applying to but I want to talk about how to I list technologies for someone like a recruiter or a company to find me via Linked-In or Dice/Indeed/etc.

Do you list a general listing or specifics? Here is an example off my resume from a previous company I worked for. I worked with EIGRP, BGP, OSPF, 1411s, Nexus 5ks, all kinds of stuff. Would you leave it like below (ignore the formatting) or would you list specifics?

Part of a four man networking team supporting a national enterprise network consisting of 900+ stores throughout the United States and Canada, customer service centers, corporate offices, and contract warehouses utilizing MPLS, ATM, and Frame-Relay for WAN connectivity.
  • Installed, configured, monitored, and upgraded LAN/WAN devices including Cisco Catalyst switches (layer 2 and layer 3), Cisco routers, Arista switches, Cisco NX-OS switches, DSL modems, T1 connections, DS3 connections, Cisco wireless access points, IDS access points, and 3G wireless solutions for locations without Telco support
  • Maintained high uptime and availability for employees of CORP-PRO by monitoring the corporate environment for network issues and assisting in LAN/WAN optimization during change windows.
  • Captured and analyzed network traffic to evaluate performance issues
  • Provided users with network access (wired and wireless) and troubleshot various network connectivity and design issues as a tier two resource for tickets escalated to me by the service desk
  • Worked with Cisco support to create RMAs and supported numerous locations with installing or replacing faulty hardware

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd much prefer to see what someone has actually done than see a list of protocols with no context when I read a resume. Working Nexus and BGP in there isn't a bad idea. The others I probably wouldn't go out of my way to fit in.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In my skills portion I list all the gear I work with, my working knowledge of certain protocols, etc. Under my actual job I put what I have done and major accomplishments. Maybe that helps a little.
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    In my skills portion I list all the gear I work with, my working knowledge of certain protocols, etc. Under my actual job I put what I have done and major accomplishments. Maybe that helps a little.

This is what I wondered if is something I needed or is common on resumes now for networking side. I dont have a skills portion of my resume and am wondering if I need one. I have been doing it in this format with generalization (unless I apply to a specific job).
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If you have actual experience to put on the resume I'd skip the skills section. In my opinion it's just filler for inexperienced people and a way to convey what they want to do.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The beauty with linkedin is that you can add as much detail as you want without worrying about keeping it down to a page or two like a resume. But make sure its easy on the eyes no one is going to read a wall of text.

A long time ago I had a resume laid out like yours and posted it up on another networking site and they said thats essentially what everyone does which means I do not stand out. The advice that was given to me was within the bullet points I had to mention my specific achievements or projects to make me stand out.

So I extend that advice to you as well. If you do not have any major projects to mention you could technically translate what you did on something. For example instead of saying you configured cisco routers you could say something like:

*Tuned BGP paths to provide failover on Redundant WAN Links on ASR1002's and stuff like that.

But of course highlight the best stuff on your resume

I have a skills sections with I list the protocols I worked with. I go into specifics in the actual experience section. I do agree with it being a filler it all depends on how much space you have to play with on your resume.
  • mistabrumley89mistabrumley89 Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I feel like your bullets should be a little more goal focused.

"Captured and analyzed network traffic to evaluate performance issues"

What did this lead to? Numbers can also help.
    I.E.:
    Captured and analyzed network traffic to evaluate performance issues, which led to a 15% increase in bandwidth utilization.

Keywords help, as stated by networker050184
    I.E.:
    Resolved asymmetric BGP routing issues through Wireshark packet captures and NetFlow traffic analyzers, which led to a 15% increase in bandwidth utilization

I like the format, but I feel your bullets can be a little stronger.

I don't use a skills section because I don't have room for one.
    Goals: WGU BS: IT-Sec (DONE) | CCIE Written: In Progress
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/charlesbrumley
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Thank you. I will work on the bullet points to be stronger in showing my accomplishments and get it reposted back online.

Resume's are always something I have been weak at but want to make sure mine stands out a bit but honestly more than anything.