What are you packing? (Mobile Devices)

WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
I'm curious to see what type of mobile phones, smartphones, PDAs and other handheld devices people around the globe own and what you do with it.

I just got myself a new 'phone' so let me start myself:

Device: T-Mobile Vario Pocket PC running Windows Mobile 5.0
(see a review here)
Definitely the most awesome gadget I got so far. I had a pretty decent phone before this one, a NEC with I-mode, but the Vario allows me to access the Internet from anywhere (GPRS). And when I'm at home, or near a hotspot (of which we have many), I can connect using my WiFi network (WEP, WPA, or WPA2). Also supports Bluetooth, InfraRed, and of course USB. It comes with 128 mb internal storage and 64 MB ram, and a free 512 MB miniSD card. I got a built-in SD reader in my HP notebook so I can quickly exchange MP3's err... 'information'. The 240x320 (or 320x240) is sufficient to actual be able to use most of the software. Although I mostly use the Stylus pen, it has a 'hidden' qwerty keyboard that actually works quite efficiently.

Main use:
- tasks, agena, email, and contacts (Outlook)
- MSN Messenger
- Internet (mostly for backup connection, but almost every page is reasonably readable)
- Putty (Telnet/SSH) into web servers in case of emergency (i.e. if site down, server slow.) (and for some reason I just love running text-based applications in a window on a mobile device :))
- MP3 player (Actually cancelled an iPod Nano order)

(yeah, I know, I didn't list phonecalls ;))

@2lbs: yes, this means I won't be dragging my notebook onto the beach on holidays :D

icon_exclaim.gif The practice questions from the upcoming updated N10-003 TechNotes Special Edition will also be available in a full-blown exam engine for Pocket PCs.

Comments

• awiseguyawiseguy Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thats sounds like a sweet machine. I need to get me some mobile devices here soon. I have a crappy LG camera phone and and old Tungten E Palm. LOL. so crappy. All I use the palm for though is for a chess game my friend and I are playing and listeing to music. lol.
    Everyone runs faster with a knife!
  • 2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    That thing really is a powerhorse ---and a sexy one, too. The keyboard is probably the only one of its kind I've ever seen on any hand held device. I don't like using pens (which always come with PDA's), and I hate the idea of turning my fingers into pickers so that I can pick on tiny keys.

The memory on that gadget is also very good. Does the screen get turned horizontally when you start browsing??? That should be a must I guess.

I currently use a Nokia 6630. I just can't seem to switch to other vendors. I guess Nokia has its subliminal seduction pipe firmly attached to my brain.
    Webmaster wrote:
    @2lbs: yes, this means I won't be dragging my notebook onto the beach on holidays :D

icon_lol.gif You must be turning into a high-tech gadget yourself to be able to remember that stuff.

But yes, I guess you won't have to suffer from carrying around a load while enjoying the sun on the beach. And of course, no more sand and salty water getting on your gadgets (gadget? cuz everything you'll need is on that thing).
    The practice questions from the upcoming updated N10-003 TechNotes Special Edition will also be available in a full-blown exam engine for Pocket PCs.

Amazing.

2lbs.
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • xlg123xlg123 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Used to do the Dell Axim and Nextel I860. Now I use the Blackberry 7520 and nothing else. It does what I need, I'd like a little more, but this is paid for through work so I can't complain about free....
    Sprint/NXT has a device similar to yours, I thought about switching. I couldnt find one listed on T-Mob's website.
  • TURTLEGIRLTURTLEGIRL Member Posts: 361
    I own an IPAQ rx3715. I use it for streaming movies from the other computers or music, chatting or just surfing the net. It's a pretty dam good PDA and I think I would be lost without it. icon_lol.gif
    If you don't know 24 then you don't know Jack!
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I needed something that I could use to actually browse real Internet pages (not I-mode or WAP), and I was planning on getting a Nokia 7710 cause the screen looked big enough, and I always look at a suitable Nokia phone too. When I was about to buy it, they recommended this one based on my needs, and I'm glad they did. Even though there are of course some limitations, I can read posts in the forums, send emails with attachments (i.e. when some purchased the TechNotes but had download problems). And watch the latest Foamy squirrel flash animations. I pay about $12 per month for unlimited Internet (through GPRS and T-Mobile hotspot). Heck, I can even play DivX movies on it. It also does handwriting recognition. It just doesn't feel like a phone anymore. It has a 197 Mhz processor and most of the time that seems to be enough to avoid delays when loading programs.
    Does the screen get turned horizontally when you start browsing??? That should be a must I guess.
    It turns automatically when I pull out the qwerty keyboard, and you can flip it manually too. I haven't tapped a wrong key on the keyboard yet though I don't see myself writing entire TechNotes on it, it works fine for email, posts, etc. The keys also lit up in a cool blue color as soon as you start typing.

I will post some shots including an example of the Network+ practice test. It's really awesome, supports multiple choice, multiple answer, yes/no, flash cards (will use that one for OSI model and Well-Known ports quiz), embedded images, random questions, and much more. I don't have to actually type out the questions again, I can simply convert them, so I will have our free Network+ exams ready in no time and put them online to see if there's any demand that could justify spending some more time on porting material (including TechNotes) to a 'mobile' format.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    xlg123 wrote:
    Used to do the Dell Axim and Nextel I860. Now I use the Blackberry 7520 and nothing else. It does what I need, I'd like a little more, but this is paid for through work so I can't complain about free....Sprint/NXT has a device similar to yours, I thought about switching. I couldnt find one listed on T-Mob's website.
    I've considered a Blackberry too because of their useable keyboards. The T-Mobile Vario is also available under different brands per provider. Qtek is one of them, HTC originally designed it under the name 'wizard', the o2 XDA Mini is also almost the same.
  • grey foxgrey fox Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My mobile is a Motorola V3, I only use it for calls and messages.
    I use my PSP for listening to music/playing when I am on the move.
    That's it.
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Smart Device PPC 6700 from Sprint.

EVDO technology. I get 800 Kbps to 1.7 Mbps here in Chicago (verified on 2Wire).

Windows Mobile 5.0
    MSN Messenger
    Outlook 2003

1.3 Mega pixel camera (which I rarely use)

Bluetooth enabled.

All kinds of other apps I've loaded. I use it a lot to read techexams.net pdf's I've downloaded to it. :D
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Until they release a Palm Treo 700w with 802.11 that works with Verizon Wireless I'll stay with my archaic Kyrocera P.O.S.
  • toxikastoxikas Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I own an Asus MyPal A636 N. This is navigation class PDA with built-in GPS receiver so i am use it for navigation, also for browsing the internet, reading email and chatting.
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Heck, if I could get away without one I would not even own a mobile.

Then again I am quite often without one as I have a penchant for throwing the stupid things out the car window when they annoy me icon_lol.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    wow couldnt live without one here, anyway I have an Orange SPV M3100 PDA phone with a 1GB micro SD card.

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=243020
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    HP iPaq hx2750

http://reviews.cnet.com/HP_iPaq_hx2750/4505-3127_7-31218727.html

Organizer, contacts....really thinking about upgrading to a PDA Phone though.
    icon_rolleyes.gif
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • DirtySouthDirtySouth Member Posts: 314 ■□□□□□□□□□
    LG VX-8100

I use it for calls (obviously), calander, reminders, alarm clock. I've been meaning to get a mini-SD card for it so I can store more pics & videos, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I've read on howardforums.com that you can easily convert full-length videos/movies into 3gp format and then store/watch them on your phone.
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I have a Treo 700w, I am on my 3rd replacement. Nothing special happens with the phone, I use it for corporate email downloading, tasks, calendar & chatting with my bluetooth.

I have owned the Samsung i600 & Treo 650 and being in charge of all smart phones for the company has been a treat.

124223-Treo700wDialByPic_b.jpg
  • darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    me too .... 3rd treo 700w .....
    email is it's only use maybe calendar .... when i remember to sync

garv221 wrote:
    I have a Treo 700w, I am on my 3rd replacement. Nothing special happens with the phone, I use it for corporate email downloading, tasks, calendar & chatting with my bluetooth.

I have owned the Samsung i600 & Treo 650 and being in charge of all smart phones for the company has been a treat.

124223-Treo700wDialByPic_b.jpg
    rm -rf /
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    How do you like it so far? Do you have problems with it syncing from time to time?