Please Read! - Cisco Aironet 1100 AP Wireless - Resetting AP Endless Loop

adennadenn Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Thank you for taking the time to look at this post :)

I have a Cisco Aironet 1100 series Access Point - AIR-AP-1121G-A-K9

I have been trying to get all of our access points switched over from autonomous to lightweight mode so that our LAN Controller can manage all of our AP's. When I attempted to upload a more recent image on the access point I belive it failed half way through the process. I have reset the AP (amber light in the center) Restored the factory defaults (held for 20 seconds til amber light turned red)

The access point goes through the entire series of tests, everything looks good. Now what I expect is for the AP to try to pull a DHCP address. When it cannot pull the address it should revert to the 10.0.0.1 address. Unfortunately it is not behaving this way. The access point seems to be stuck in an endless loop. It goes through all of the tests, then I will get three solid green lights for just 15 seconds, they hold green, before shutting off an the access point restarts by itself. During this 15 seconds I am unable to ping 10.0.0.1. I have all of my ip settings correctly configured to be on the same subnet. Still no reply.

I have been unable to find any documentation on the internet for this error. I've tried numerous things with the Mode button, holding for different times, unplugging then plugging the power back in. Every time it does the same thing. Please any advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't think their is anything wrong with the AP aside from the IOS missing. I'm confident that I can upload the new image via TFTP server, that is no problem.

I need this AP to default to the 10.0.0.1 for the Five minutes in order for me to configure it. It would be so much easier had this model of AP been designed with a console port.

Please help, thanks for everything!

Alyssa

Comments

• adennadenn Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Also, I figured I would include this as well. The access point will not broadcast the default - SSID Tsunami - at all
  • emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    Hi. I don't have this model AP (1130 though) however i'm curious as to why you'd need to do manual configuration on the AP and not have a DHCP plus the appropriate DNS settings for the WAPs to find the controller. Is it because of the failed upgrade?

Someone probably knows otherwise but you might need to call/get smartnet if you dont' already have it if you have no way to get in.
  • adennadenn Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The AP requires a certain image in order to transition from autonomous to lightweight mode. Without the correct image on the WAP, it is unable to find the controller(even if the controller can find the AP). I would just as well let the WAP pull a DHCP address, and I'm sure if it would, I could find the AP and access it in order to do the upgrade. However, my AP won't even pull a DCHP address, it won't broadcast the default SSID either, it won't default to the 10.0.0.1 address, so I am unable to access it at all.

There isn't much documentation on the light codes for it either, at least none that will help. The LED's on the front of the AP go through each check/test and pass just fine. The AP seems to be acting as if it can't pull an address and therefore just restarts itself. It should default to the 10.0.0.1 for five minutes after doing a reset/power cycling the AP. I've done this so many times already...same results.
  • adilsonnjadilsonnj Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    RESOLVED AIR-AP1121G-A-K9 firmware recovery, go to the step-by-step:

Configure the network adapter of your PC:
    IP: 10.0.0.2
    Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 10.0.0.2
    DNS: 10.0.0.2

Install Tftpd32 or TFTPD64, link:
    TFTP server

Create a folder that you know the path, for example:
    C: \ iOS \
    Copy the image you want to restore, I used the C1100-k9w7-tar.123-8.JEE.tar

VERY IMPORTANT!
    Create two copies of this image and rename it to "C1100-k9w7-tar.default" and "C1100-k9w7-tar.default.tar"
    Keep the three images with these agents names in the same folder C \ iOS \

In TFTPD, TFTP Server tab:
    Currienty diretory: C: IOS \
    Serveces interfaces: 10.0.0.2

In TFTPD, DHCP Server tab:
    Starting adress: 10.0.0.3
    pool: 5
    Win / DNS: 10.0.0.2
    defalt router: 10.0.0.2

Now press the MODE button and turn on the AP, wait for the red LED to ascend and release the MODE button.

In the Log Viewer TFTPD tab you can track the progress and DHCP Server IP that was associated with the AP, if everything is right a rage progress bar starts and firmware transfer begins, the whole process takes about 5 minutes to the end you can access again via http / 10.0.0.1 or login AP: Cisco and password Cisco (case sensitive)

Ufa...

Adilson
  • adilsonnjadilsonnj Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    adenn wrote: »
    The AP requires a certain image in order to transition from autonomous to lightweight mode. Without the correct image on the WAP, it is unable to find the controller(even if the controller can find the AP). I would just as well let the WAP pull a DHCP address, and I'm sure if it would, I could find the AP and access it in order to do the upgrade. However, my AP won't even pull a DCHP address, it won't broadcast the default SSID either, it won't default to the 10.0.0.1 address, so I am unable to access it at all.

There isn't much documentation on the light codes for it either, at least none that will help. The LED's on the front of the AP go through each check/test and pass just fine. The AP seems to be acting as if it can't pull an address and therefore just restarts itself. It should default to the 10.0.0.1 for five minutes after doing a reset/power cycling the AP. I've done this so many times already...same results.

----
    go to the step-by-step:

Configure the network adapter of your PC:
    IP: 10.0.0.2
    Gateway: 10.0.0.2
    DNS: 10.0.0.2

Install Tftpd32 or TFTPD64, link:
    TFTP server

Create a folder that you know the path, for example: C:\IOS\

Copy the image you want to restore, I used the C1100-k9w7-tar.123-8.JEE.tar

VERY IMPORTANT!
    Create two copies of this image and rename it to "C1100-k9w7-tar.default" and "C1100-k9w7-tar.default.tar"
    Keep the three images with these proposed names in the same folder C:\IOS\

In TFTPD, TFTP Server tab:
    Currienty diretory: C:\IOS\
    Serveces interfaces: 10.0.0.2

In TFTPD, DHCP Server tab:
    Starting adress: 10.0.0.3
    pool: 5
    Win / DNS: 10.0.0.2
    Default router: 10.0.0.2

Now press the MODE button and turn on the AP, wait for the red LED to ascend and release the MODE button.

In the Log Viewer TDTFD tab you can track the progress and DHCP Server IP that was associated with the AP, if everything is right a rage progress bar starts and firmware transfer begins, the whole process takes about 5 minutes to the end you can access again via http / 10.0.0.1 or login AP: Cisco and password Cisco (case sensitive)

Ufa...

Adilson