Questions regarding CAPM for anyone that has taken it

I am studying now for CAPM certification using Joseph Phillips course on Udemy for the educational hours needed and also bought his book and studying that as well. My question is for someone like me that has only worked on projects as a team member in the past, mostly IT projects like PC Refresh projects, site move projects which I led one of them, will this be wise for me to start with this certification?

I would like to maybe get into a Jr level project manager position or coordinator position at some point but mostly wondering if this CAPM is mostly for someone that is already a full blown project manager with experience. Guess what I am getting to is.. if I am not currently a project manager or have little experience does it make sense to take this cert? I don't have the qualifications for PMP.

Thanks for any input anyone has on this
Currently working on CCENT/CCNA and CAPM

Comments

• JameswebJamesweb Member Posts: 144
    WoW! so no one on here has taken the CAPM and can give any input to the questions above? Still looking for any input if anyone has anything.

Thanks in advance
  • twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Working on CAPM myself. I also think joe's CAPM course is good. He just released a good study guide too included with that course.
    i didn't get it taken in December as planned, got busy with work and delayed it.
    CAPM is much easier to qualify. 35 hrs of training versus PMP wants true project mgmt experience the previous 7 hours or so.

i think jr pm would be good to take CAPM. Look at application for PMP and start keeping good log of your project experience. In 5 years when you need to renew CAPM, take PMP instead!!!

just my thoughts. I have to take my CAPM by July.
  • GlynixxGlynixx Member Posts: 138
    Looks like maybe we can get a little study group going on? I hope to take it by June / July and try for the pmp by end of year (I hope!). I would like to try it before they change pmbok versions again. And to be honest, I don't know if I have the brainpower any more for these exams but this will be my last hurrah so I am hoping to get them both done and then take a long break lol.

I have so much darn material I don't know where to start sometimes. And I tend to have so little time that only complicates matters...
    First I am starting with the Velociteach PMP Exam - "how to pass on your first try" book & use the Cd's & flashcards that also come with the kit.
    Then I will take a look at Rita M's CAPM book. I tried this one before and I wasn't crazy about how it was written.
    If I have time I will watch Joseph Phillips udemy capm course (and maybe the Pluralsight pmp course- but may save that for later)
    I bought the transcender and rita's capm practice tests.

I've heard good things about the PMP Head First book as well.

I have more material including joe's CAPM/PMP book and the pm prepcast which while informative I really can't listen to it while driving - it needs more focused attention and too much info to absorb.
    Now the only thing I need is motivation! And maybe a couple of people who can help hold each other accountable... You guys up for that?
    Check out www.manager-tools.com for some great management training for free!
  • User2097User2097 Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I did Project+ and then went straight for PMP. I do not know anyone personally with CAPM.
    Cert Goals: CISSP-ISSAP (May 2016) | CISM (2016) | GSEC (2016) | OSCP (2017)
    College: MBA Project Management (2012) | Bachelors IT Management (2010)
    Experience: Cyber Security, Information Assurance, and IT Management Officer
    Hi User2097, how was the PMP exam? Can you let me know what you used for study materials.
    Thanks twodogs for the reply and good luck on your capm exam in July! Glynixx, I know what you mean about having so much material and where to begin. I am still also trying to study for CCNA while doing CAPM. I am almost finished with Joe's course and 2 chapters done in his CAPM book but it almost feels like maybe I should have started first with Project+ then went to this one. I may have to watch the course and read the book a couple times before I feel comfortable to take this test with not having much in depth project management experience but more of a lead on IT projects instead or a team member. I wish I had the requirements for PMP but unfortunately I don't. Thanks everyone for your replies on this and if anyone has any other input let's hear it.
    Hi twodogs, is the study guide released for the udemy course? I'm looking at the course (I bought it a while back) but I don't see it listed under resources. I see 3 flashcard listings, capm memory sheet, & itto worksheet. Thanks for your post and good luck!!
    thank you!
    Glynixx, The workbook is what he just released in last week or so and it is located in the downloads area under Lecture 1. His message regarding releasing this is under the Announcement link about 8 days ago. Hope this helps.
    Jamesweb wrote: »
    Glynixx, The workbook is what he just released in last week or so and it is located in the downloads area under Lecture 1. His message regarding releasing this is under the Announcement link about 8 days ago. Hope this helps.
    Thanks! Found it! OMG 900 pages... not sure I will be printing that out in full ;)

Watching vids now. Time to get my butt in gear!
    Yeah with you on the printing out of all of that it is way too much to print lol. I am going into Section 10 of Joe's videos now been working on this for about 2 weeks slowly. Should finish it by tomorrow but will need to watch this probably at least one or two more times and go through his CAPM book at least once or twice.
    Glynixx wrote: »
    Thanks! Found it! OMG 900 pages... not sure I will be printing that out in full ;)

Watching vids now. Time to get my butt in gear!
  • User2097User2097 Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    James,

This from an older post I did on PMP, so not retyping:

Do you need help on this? I just passed a week ago (second try). Here is what I recommend quickly.

1. Read PMP Head First (it's a super easy book to read. trust me, read it first)
    2. Order PMP big posters (it helps track of where you are)
    3. Lightly read RITA (I say this because her book is not that good. it helps, but it's better to read the PMBOK at this point)
    4. Read through PMBOK
    5. Sign up for PMP Prepcast (I hate paying for stuff, but this was truly worth it. get the engine and his videos. his questions have a same feel for the pmp exam, but harder. the format and syntax matched the exam, so you are less stressed. his answers tell where you are in the PMBOK and this is how you really start memorizing it.)

Do not:
    1. Do not: Make tons of flash cards
    2. Do not: Memorize all the ITTO's. I ignored this the first time and paid for it. Basically, you need to know where you are to answer the question, but vaguely know for familiarity.
    3. Do not: Ignore the PMBOK, but do not read it first. Once you read PMP head first or a little rita, the PMBOK is easy to remember
    4. Do not: Act like you know anything. Be humble, reset, and study

good luck
    Cert Goals: CISSP-ISSAP (May 2016) | CISM (2016) | GSEC (2016) | OSCP (2017)
    College: MBA Project Management (2012) | Bachelors IT Management (2010)
    Experience: Cyber Security, Information Assurance, and IT Management Officer
  • twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I failed capm. It is not an easy test due to amount of material. After all the studying, I finally felt that I was getting the picture of how the pmbok book is laid out. Plan on continuing studies. But laying off as I need to get some Microsoft Certs first.

will be using Joe Phillips udemy course.

might retry in a year, but will keep reviewing.