Passed 802+ I'm Officially Certified!

tnluongtnluong Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just passed my 802 an hour ago. In case you guys were curious, I got 822 on the 801 exam and 862 on the 802. I just wanted to share some tips and tricks on passing both exams.
For both exams, I printed out all the objectives. It’s a must! Then, I went over each and every single one of those objectives and took notes on them. I used several books to help me take notes. The reason why I didn't stick to one is because some books explain things better than others. Not only did I use the books, I also watched all of Professor Messer's videos. He really helped explain some things that I couldn't understand just from reading alone.
Once I got all the objectives answered, then I started taking free practice exams online(examcompass.com, crucialexams.com). Whatever questions I didn’t get right, I would open up the books to see why I got it wrong.

The books I used were: Training Kit Exam 220-801, COMPTIA A+ Complete Study Guide, Mike Meyers COMPTIA A+ Certification, CompTIA A+ 220-801 and 220-802 Exam Cram 6th Edition. To be honest, I recommend the first 2 books. These books will let you know exactly what objectives are being covered for the chapters you're reading. Mike Meyers is a good book, but I feel that he goes over way too much information. Plus, it’s a lot harder to find what objectives he covers in each chapter as opposed to the other 2 books.

Last thing I highly recommend is that you download a flash card application on your phone. I basically created questions out of all my objectives and put them onto the application.

That’s pretty much it. If you guys have any questions, feel free to ask!

Comments

• danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! What's next for you?
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • tnluongtnluong Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks! I'm currently taking a class at a community college where the class breaks down into 2 sections: networking and security. The first half of the semester focuses on networking while the latter half is on security. The class is supposed to help me prepare for both networking+ and security+. Although I'm on my 3rd week, I can tell that networking and security exams are going to be a lot more difficult than A+
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! Good luck on your next certs icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • techtiatechtia Member Posts: 144
    Nice scores, I wanted 800s. Too bad we don't get to see what we got wrong. Cheers.
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
    techtia wrote: »
    Nice scores, I wanted 800s. Too bad we don't get to see what we got wrong. Cheers.

I know! I had a few questions that were 50/50 and maybe 2 questions that I had no idea what the answers were. But overall, I'm glad I finally got this out of the way! Thanks for all the congrats, guys!
  • User2097User2097 Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats
    Cert Goals: CISSP-ISSAP (May 2016) | CISM (2016) | GSEC (2016) | OSCP (2017)
    College: MBA Project Management (2012) | Bachelors IT Management (2010)
    Experience: Cyber Security, Information Assurance, and IT Management Officer
  • Tr1x5TaTr1x5Ta Member Posts: 8 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
  • King MikeKing Mike Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I'm studying for the 220-901 and 220-902 since my brother recommended staying as up-to-date on things as possible. The material is largely the same from what I can tell. The difference lies in the objectives it seems.
  • djeffrey26djeffrey26 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    tnluong can I get the information on the book you used COMPTIA A+ study guide. I also heard some people have used COMPTIA A+ REVIEW GUIDE instead you what is the differesnce?
  • Mike RMike R Member Posts: 148 ■■■□□□□□□□
    djeffrey26 wrote: »
    tnluong can I get the information on the book you used COMPTIA A+ study guide. I also heard some people have used COMPTIA A+ REVIEW GUIDE instead you what is the differesnce?

what information do you need? Both Study Guide and Review Guide are from the same authors. I highly recommend COMPTIA A+ Training Kit Exam because I felt that they did a great job covering all the objectives by separating each objective in its own sections, whereas with COMPTIA A+ Study Guide sometimes they would explain 2-3 objectives in one paragraph.
  • houdini5150houdini5150 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!!! icon_thumright.gif
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • Nafe92014Nafe92014 Member Posts: 279 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats and welcome aboard! icon_thumright.gif
    Certification Goals 2020: CCNA, Security+

"You have enemies? Good, that means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~Winston S. Churchill
  • GioMoya1GioMoya1 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I passed mine yesterday with a 747. My biggest regret is not studying (i detest studying with a burning hatred) i cant seem to make learning, fun. I have everything i printed out though for future reference.
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats!
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Coy18Coy18 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations @tnluong!

Hi everyone. I'm new in the forum and need your advise since I'm preparing for A+ 220-901 and 220-902 exam. I can't find resources to study for the A+ 9 series as I'm pretty much studying on my own. Or would enrolling to a school that offers training and class lectures will be an advantage to pass the exam considering that A+ 9 series just came out last December 2015? Also for those certified already, can you give me advise for the said exam? If you have resources to share that could help me for my studies and "hopefully" pass the exam.. I would very much appreciate it.
  • houdini5150houdini5150 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Do you have any experience?
    Coy18 wrote: »
    Congratulations @tnluong!

Hi everyone. I'm new in the forum and need your advise since I'm preparing for A+ 220-901 and 220-902 exam. I can't find resources to study for the A+ 9 series as I'm pretty much studying on my own. Or would enrolling to a school that offers training and class lectures will be an advantage to pass the exam considering that A+ 9 series just came out last December 2015? Also for those certified already, can you give me advise for the said exam? If you have resources to share that could help me for my studies and "hopefully" pass the exam.. I would very much appreciate it.
  • Jay_CertifiedJay_Certified Member Posts: 13 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • TomBergTomBerg Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Does anyone have the Professor Messer course notes for 220-801/802?