ICND2 Pass

xengorethxengoreth Member Posts: 117 ■■■□□□□□□□
INCD2 Pass- 881/1000

I passed the ICND1 back in November but finally had time to focus on ICND2 just in the last month. As such, about a solid month of time was dedicated to study averaging maybe 15 hours per week.

The Odom book, GNS3, and VIRL made up my main modes of study. I labbed everything out using various topologies suggested by others and ones I dreamed up on my own.

Finally, I spent the last two weeks doing Boson tests and restudying the weak areas. I was a little discouraged by Boson at first-- I thought I was ready to take the test and got a bit of a wakeup call when I failed their test with a 62%. But I'm glad I didn't start with the practice tests until the end and though they really helped. WGU also gave me access to the Transcender tests and I think they are garbage in comparison.

By the time I was done I was passing studying I passed the Boson test at nearly 100%. It only took a few retakes to get there. The most important thing is not getting the right answer, obviously, but understanding why you are wrong!
2018 Goals: CCNP R/S, VCP6-NV

Comments

• JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats on the pass! great accomplishment. So what's next?
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • xengorethxengoreth Member Posts: 117 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks! I'm going to sidetrack from my WGU BSIT - Sec degree for a few weeks and finally knock out the VCP5-DCV, since I already have the class done and years of experience with VMware. I'll probably weave in the A+/Net+ since I already have half of the A+ and the Network+ is somewhat redundant at this point.

After that, it's CCNA: Security and Linux+! Long term goal is CCNP: R/S.
  • fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!!! icon_thumright.gif
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • stunnedsoupstunnedsoup Member Posts: 120
    Awesome job man! Congrats!

This is a very encouraging post. I'm wrapping up studying and doing Boson's now. Glad to hear it worked out for you!
    Cisco: CCENT COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR CCNA COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR || MCSE: 70-410 COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR 70-411 [ ] 74-409 COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR 70-534 [ ] || VMWare: VCP [ ]
  • steelodonsteelodon Member Posts: 103
    Congrats on the pass! I was wondering about using VIRL as a resource for studying. Did you have to use any physical hardware along with GNS3?
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • QueueQueue Member Posts: 174 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Good Job!
  • toasterboy1toasterboy1 Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! Encouraging to hear that even after some time away it can be done. Having problems finishing up the Lammle book and I know I will need some serious lab time. Good luck on your other certs.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! icon_cheers.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • xengorethxengoreth Member Posts: 117 ■■■□□□□□□□
    steelodon wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass! I was wondering about using VIRL as a resource for studying. Did you have to use any physical hardware along with GNS3?

Thanks!

I am currently running the VIRL appliance on an ESXi host, although I'll likely switch to bare metal, since VIRL is a resource hog. I have a pair of 3560G's for my "data center" and an 8-port 2960G sitting in my office as my access layer switch. I can set up the VIRL topology such that the virtualized devices have connectivity to the physical devices on my network, which can be pretty useful for leveraging IP services on the network (ntp, syslog, tftp, etc.)

GNS3, of course, has the same capability but I tend to use GNS3 for quick labs oriented targeting a specific technology (FHRP, a specific IGP, Frame Relay, etc.)

Additionally, I have some other Cisco gear I've picked up along the way sitting in my rack, but the majority of the labbing is with virtual devices, either through GNS3 or VIRL, just due to how long it takes to run downstairs and re-cable everything. For example, I have three 1841s that I haven't powered on in months and a number of other 100 Mbps 2960s and 3560s I just probably won't use and will likely just sell.

I deal with a lot of Cisco equipment at work, so I suspect for others having hands on with a couple different models of devices would be much more valuable.

Most of the "labbing" that gets done with the physical equipment I do use is in support of my home network needs: appropriate configurations for my wireless access points and ESXi hosts, port security, portfast and bpduguard for all of my edge ports, redundancy for my SVIs with FHRPs, etc. By this point, my poor wife has gotten used to my experiments that sometimes lead to breaking access to the internet! I think labbing can be a lot more fun if they have a more real-world goal in mind and the needs present themselves as I get my hands on more lab equipment.