Options

CompTIA Fundamentals - Exam FC0-U51, anyone?

SwaswaswaSwaswaswa Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
Has anyone passed this exam? If so, is it worth getting? Or please share your thoughts. Only experience I have is 2.5 years of school.

Comments

• Options
    Goteki54Goteki54 Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Swaswaswa wrote: »
    Has anyone passed this exam? If so, is it worth getting? Or please share your thoughts. Only experience I have is 2.5 years of school.

Two and a half years of what kind of schooling are you referring to? As for the CompTia's Fundamentals, it's not worth getting. You are much better off in perusing the A+ certification as your first cert especially if your may not have much technical knowledge. This is normally the starting point and in which many employers are looking for.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, Security +., SSCP
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    wow, I actually didn't know there was a lower cert than the A+ that Comptia offers. Learn something new each day.

Can't imagine that cert holds any value. It never expires so that is a plus though! icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    SwaswaswaSwaswaswa Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Goteki54 wrote: »
    Two and a half years of what kind of schooling are you referring to? As for the CompTia's Fundamentals, it's not worth getting. You are much better off in perusing the A+ certification as your first cert especially if your may not have much technical knowledge. This is normally the starting point and in which many employers are looking for.

Classes I have taken are...
    Cisco R&S 1, 2, and 3
    Cisco Firewall Security (ASA 5515x)
    Linux Installation & Configuration
    Information Technology Security
    OS Security (Windows 7, 8 | Ubuntu, Ubuntu Server | Kali Linux)

wow, I actually didn't know there was a lower cert than the A+ that Comptia offers. Learn something new each day.

Can't imagine that cert holds any value. It never expires so that is a plus though! icon_thumright.gif

I did not know either until a friend brought it up. I'm taking him under my wing so not only will he learn, it will help ingrain a lot of fundamentals in my head.
  • Options
    SvobodaSvoboda Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I took it a long time ago just to see what CompTIA exams were like. It is extremely easy and pretty much Joe Blow off the street can pass it without studying IMO.
  • Options
    revboxrevbox Member Posts: 90 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I took the online version of this test as my first ever certification. Anyone that has a pulse and has operated a computer for a decent length of time should pass this. It is designed as a fundamentals exam and it is just that, however it focuses more on vocabulary than practical application. In other words, can you define what a mouse, cable, or web browser does versus how to actually use it. The only time I'd consider this cert valuable is if I were hiring a bunch of minors with no skills at all. The one with this piece of paper at least tells me that one won't use the disc tray as a cup holder.

My reason for taking it was just for confidence. I wanted an easy cherry to pick after struggling with depression/anxiety and being complacent in my career for a very long time.
  • Options
    ClmClm Member Posts: 444 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If I was you I would go for either my CCENT, CCNA ,security + or linux+
    I find your lack of Cloud Security Disturbing!!!!!!!!!
    Connect with me on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/myerscraig